COLOMBIA FISHING

General Questions

COLOMBIA FISHING

Postby IVANSANCHEZ » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:01 am

Hey Larry,

What lure do you normally use when chasing big peacoks, what do you use for top water, and what do you use for under water, also ,what flies do you use when flycasting.Going fishing to el TOMO in feb. SEE if you can come .

HAPPY new year , best wishes , and good fishing

iVAN SANCHEZ
BOGOTA COLOMBIA.
IVANSANCHEZ

peacock lures

Postby Bob Daly » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:01 pm

Ivan: Have fished for peacocks many years in Brazil. Best baits for me on topwater have been giant woodchoppers. Minnows baits such as Y0-Zuri, giant bombers, and giant redfins are also good. Also jigs are productive. When the bite is "off" slow trolling a live piranha or matrincha on a circle hook is very productive. Which rivers in Columbia do you fish? Good luck, Bob Daly :D
Bob Daly

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:52 am

Hi I,
The best overall "searching" lure is a big double-propped lure like a woodchopper. Most of us use the models with two counter rotating props on the rear. Front prop tangles in line too often.
The best design I've seen is manufactured in Brazil. I was introduced to them by Cadu Berni of the Discovery Boat out of Manaus. They're 100 times tougher than the Luhr Jenson baits.
All however need to have hooks and split rings changed to Owner.
I've had many circumstances when Poe's Giant Jackpot has been my best producer as well.
Shallow lipped, floating minnow lures that track good at high speeds and that can also be cast and worked erratically are especially effective when fish are on sand fingers, wood with current and as a follow up lure after a topwater blow up and miss.
Bright fluorescent colors are usually best. I've caught 'em on everything from green and chart shades to oranges and pinks. Toughness is important because you are only allowed so much gear. 5"-8" is the best size range. Again change all hooks and split rings.
Jigs, provided the hooks are strong, are a must. Hair, flashabou combo best, fished with brisk hopping retrieve or even "burned" and popped.
(Doesn't hurt to bring some tiny lures fish with UL light spinning gear for bait if you need it.)

For small fish, 4-6" streamers are great. Unless comeback or sight casting) (work like jig)
Bigger fish are more likely to be caught on noisy surface stuff. I use big mega divers with foam heads and tails made of big fly fiber and flashabou.
Good Luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions