Hey Larry

General Questions

Hey Larry

Postby mogan6 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:46 am

Hi Larry,

My name is Justin Foster and I am a Melbourne Beach, FL native where I 've grown up fishing the flats for trout and redfish, and offshore Sebastian Inlet. I am currently attending college in Jacksonville now, but I have some kind of a serious passion for fishing. Trying to learn the new area in Jacksonville is proving to be harder than suspected and half the time when I try to study all I can think of is past fishing trips with good friends. I can't sleep at night because I cant' wait to get out again. I know it is harder said than done, but how did you come into the position where you can travel the world and fish all of the time. Was it your show that opened the door for you or something else? And how did you come to find all of these fantastic places. I was just curious because, when people ask me what I want to do in the future, I can't help of thinking about Panama, the Amazon, or Seychelles or any of the other wild places you've been to.

I do have a fishing related quesiton though. I also fish up at the Mosquito Lagoon and the No Motor Zone of the Banana River up by the Cape. Some days we go there and there are tailing redfish all over and other days, there aren't. I think sometimes it's water clarity, sometimes the moon, and the wind def plays a part. I've seen em in the middle of summer and in the dead of winter. I'm not sure if you fish the flats that much, but I was wondering if you knew what makes those tails come calling?

Thanks a Bunch
Justin

Oh yeah, your show rocks! Keep up the good work.
mogan6

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:09 am

HI M,
First I paid my dues, then I guess I just got lucky! I grew up as a guide, tried to learn the industry by working retail, wholesale, and as a rep, then got into the media side.
(Graduated with a degree in English)
As far as finding new places, I don't get too anal about trying to do research (there's rarely good info on "new" places) and instead just roll the dice and go take a look for myself.
I've fished the area you're talking about, and have noticed the lack of consistency. Give Capt Rodney Smith a holler. He's a local there and fishes that spot from his canoe. I'd guess there are many weather related factors, plus, I've been told the occasional poacher sneaks in with nets now and then and shuffles the deck.
Fish when and where ever you can, and above all, keep your nose to the grindstone in school, it will pay off in the long run!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby mogan6 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:33 am

Thanks Larry. This forum thing is pretty cool. Pretty stand-up of you to talk to some of the fans. By the way where did you guide at? All right catch you later Larry. Keep whacking em.
mogan6

Postby Questor » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:10 pm

Justin:

On Banana River and Mosquito Lagoon it's mostly tide and wind direction. Try deeper water when you don't find them in the shallows. A lot of time you can see the deeper spots because they look calmer than the surrounding water. Sometimes a little channel only a few feet deeper than the surrounding water is all you need. Also try Captain Tom Van Horn.
Questor

Return to General Questions