Knot having much luck

General Questions

Knot having much luck

Postby greyghost » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:45 am

Larry
I have a new Curado DSV300 and spooled it with 50 lb. test PowerPro braided line (I could not find Suffix). I tried to tie on a leader of 50 lb. test flurocarbon using a bimini twist in the braided line and two uni knots. The flurocarbon uni knot was too big and bulky to go through the rod guides smoothly so I wound up using a reverse Albright to connect the leader to the loop in the braided line. This makes a much smaller knot. It held up pretty good while reeling in my youngest daughter(after I convinced her she had not outgrown this practice) in the back yard. What do you think? Will it hold up when I get hooked up to a big cobia?

Greyghost
greyghost

Slim Beauty

Postby SeattleRichard » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:27 pm

Because of the big size differential between the two lines, I'd use a Slim Beauty knot to join them. The knot is easy to tie, strong, and would pass through the guides well, and would work great with your bimini in the braid end . . .
SeattleRichard

Slim Beauty

Postby greyghost » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:05 am

S.R.
Thanks for the tip. I looked up the Slim Beauty on line and it looks like it has promise.

Greyghost
greyghost

Slim Beauty

Postby SeattleRichard » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:04 am

I learned a very similar knot tied in this style(with the double overhand knot, pulled to figure 8, etc.) from Tim Borski and a fishing friend of his in Islamorada. The knot they used (very similar to the Slim Beauty) on bite tippets when fishing for tarpon and for connecting lines of very disparate diameters. Those guys catch whoppers all the time, and if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me! I've used it on smaller, but hard pulling, fish with great success.
SeattleRichard

Postby greyghost » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:36 am

S.R
I do a lot of sight fishing for cobia around my area in the spring and fall. They hang around buoys , oil and gas rigs and anything floating in the water (sargassum weed patches, etc.) When hooked they usually make a frantic dash to get back in the structure and if you do not put a lot of pressure on them they will cut you off. This is when strong connections from the rod to the hook are necessary or you will be talking about the big one that got away. My biggest cobia to date was a 95 pounder I caught about ten years ago. We will see if the Slim Beauty is up to the task.

Greyghost
greyghost

Postby SnookChaser » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:19 pm

greyhost:
I have to insist in midknot or midnight knot.

Here is the knot
http://jigging.co.kr/acecart/bin/template/line4.html

http://usuarios.lycos.es/pescafotos/upl ... re_015.jpg

Regards,
SnookChaser
Born To Fish... Forced To Work..>)))º>
SnookChaser

Postby greyghost » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:56 am

Thanks for your assistance. I am always eager to try a new knot. I will say that I have tried a bimini twist in the braided line and attached a fluorocarbon leader using a Slim Beauty knot with good success. The knot zips through the guides with no problem and seems to have good strength. I have caught several redfish up to 30 pounds and a few cobia up to about 40 pounds so far this year with no knot failures. My thanks to SeattleRichard.

Greyghost
greyghost

Return to General Questions