Rod for Calcutta 300DSV

General Questions

Rod for Calcutta 300DSV

Postby SnookChaser » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:42 pm

Larry:
I am going to buy a Curado D 300 DSV for fishing snook. mangrove snapper and sometimes baby tarpoon. I usually use yo zuri and rapalas for casting and trolling (cristal minnows, magnums, Xraps, DT, Rap Shads) in sizes 7, 9, 10, 12, 14) and poppers. because I fish in a panga, I dont have too much space and I prefer a 6´6 rod MH. First, I going to use 20 # mono, but I am thinking later change to power pro 30#.

Can you recomend me one or two shimano´s rods for that reel and types of line (mono and braid)?

Thank you in advance,

SnookChaser
Born To Fish... Forced To Work..>)))º>
SnookChaser

Postby Chris M » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:21 am

I'm pretty sure he's going to say SUFFIX on the line recomendations.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby dahlberg » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:27 am

Try the Teramar SE Inshore casting in a med heavy(avail i 6'6" )or heavy shortest avail is 7')
They have a west coast inshore breakwater in M and MH that's 6'9" that's also worth looking at. They're a great value at $100-$130 sugg retail. I use Sufix performance braid from 50#-80# and usually in conjunction with a 60-130# wire or fluorocarbon leader.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby SnookChaser » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm

Larry, Chris:

Thank you very much for your help.

SnookChaser
Born To Fish... Forced To Work..>)))º>
SnookChaser

Postby Tuna Killer » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:56 pm

Dear Larry:

Like SnookChaser, I bought a Curado 300DSV, and also have the some problem with the rod choice.

Right now I have a Calcutta 300TE with a Compre 6'6 (CPC66MH) and I love this combo, my biggest fish with this combo was a 28# Snook, 40# Tarpon and 25# yellow fin tuna. But also I want to upgrade this rod. I plan to use the curado with the same kind of fishing.

I was thinking about 2 Teremar Rods, TMC66MH and the TMCX69MH (Breakwater series), like Snook Machine I use 30# braid and 3/8 to 1 oz lures. I'm worry about the breakwater because I think this rod is very stiff, I'm right?

If you are me, what rod you choice?

Thank you in advance.

Tuna Killer.

P.D. Do you use the Crucial Rods?
Tuna Killer

Postby dahlberg » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:49 am

hi TK,
Any of the xtra fast action designs might be a little stiff in the butt for what you're doing.
Yes, I've used the Crucial series, they include a good selection of "specialty" type rods that have good application for many other things as well.
I like the Teramar SE Insore casting series, specifically the MH, med fast and fast actions.
good luck, and merry christmas! I hope Santa can get a one piece 7 footer down the chimney without breaking it!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions