Low-stretch mono?

General Questions

Low-stretch mono?

Postby Questor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:07 am

Is there such a thing as a good low-stretch monofilament with good knot strength? Thanks. Looking for strength from about 10 to 15 pounds nominal.
Questor

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:27 am

Hi Q,
I've never seen one. Many years ago Buck Perry, the spoon plug guy marketed a mono called "no-bo" that was designed to be low stretch.
It was fairly low stretch but was like wire and significantly thicker in diameter than regular mono. Virtually unfishable except for trolling.
Many monos claim to be low stretch, but it's a relative term, and also usually a quality that forces compromises in flexibility and memory.
That's why most companies offer two main choices in their monos. The "harder" lines, like Siege, usually have a little less stretch than "softer, finesse" type lines like Elite.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:37 pm

Thank you for the insight. It looks like a game of compromises. I posted the same question about my braid problem on another forum and some are recommending that I use a shock leader like surf casters use. This would be a length of monofilament that takes the jolt of casting. I think I'll give that a try. I like the braid for it's low water resistance and long casting.

Everything's a trade-off.
Questor

Return to General Questions