Fly boxes and storage?

General Questions

Fly boxes and storage?

Postby Henry Schmidt » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:47 pm

Larry, on your show I see you keep many of the streamers and divers you use, in standard Plano boxes. Have you found a nice fly box or wallet that holds saltwater/bass size streamers and bugs? Im looking for a option that holds about a dozen or less for walking the banks. Thanks Henry
Henry Schmidt

Postby dahlberg » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:55 am

Hi H,
That's a good question. I don't often bring many flies with me, choosing rather to take hooks and materials along and make what I need after lures and live bait have provided me with clues as to what that might be!
Most of the flies that end up in the standard boxes get ruined if they stat in there too long.
Back when I guided fly fisherman I used a homemade box made of 1/4" cedar in which strips of foam were glued. It's been a while since I shopped for fly boxes so I can't be of any help in telling you what's available, but I'd sure assume somebody must make one!
If nothing else, you could buy a plastic box with no dividers in it and glue in some foam strips.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jbird » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:00 pm

Henry

A simple way that I carry big flies is to make a package with my vacuum sealer. Lets see if I can describe it in a way you can picture.

Take a length of vacuum seal bag and seal it on three sides. then burn a seam with the sealer about evry 2". The result is a sectioned pouch, approx. 6" X 12", open on one of the 12" ends. It will hold 6 BIG flies. Drop the flies into the individual slots head first, and roll it up and bind with a rubber band. They are easy to carry with you, say if your walking the beach. You can cram 6 or 8 of em in a small fanny pack along with couple tippet spools and clippers and a hook file and you have a pretty tidy beach pack.

Jay
jbird

Postby Henry Schmidt » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:26 am

Thats a slick idea, thanks
Henry Schmidt

Return to General Questions