video making.

General Questions

video making.

Postby rolando » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:39 am

Hello Larry I have not been on the web-site lately but continue to watch the show great show. I have two questions. My first question is about filming and photo taking outdoors. What I like most about your show is that except for the distant locations it does not look as though tons of money are being spent on lighting, make-up and whatever else money can be spent on. Your show is more like the common guy who finds himself with a great/tough job and likes it. Bug swatting and jerky eating kind of well like most of us who like your show.

I dont want to walk into a store and ask a salesman hey whats a great camera that takes still shots as well a video and spend 2k more than I shoud have to so I wil ask you. (or maybe someone in your video crew can help). So I am looking a affortable camera that is digital, afforable and rugged and takes stills as well a video.

Second question do you know of any travel sites that specialize in back-packing fishing trips.? Let's say I wanted to fish open beach or wadeable inshore waters and do it on foot and on a modest budget in Central America or the Carrib Islands or even the Gulf Coast of the U.S. And I don't mean on the cheap just affortable.

And thanks to your readers in advance who may have imput.

Thanks larry ...
rolando

Postby dahlberg » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:50 am

Hi R,
Thanks for the post and kind words.
I can't be of much help in regards to photo/video gear. The stuff has been changing so fast over the past dozen years it's almost impossible to keep track of the newest widgets.
Lots depends on what your intended final usage is. For reproduction I'm told you need something in the realm of 8 megapixels for stills. I'm not sure if you can get a video camera that will record stills at that resolution.
I use the Sony PD series in mini DV format as a back-up and for recording underwater stuff. When I bought the unit I think it was a little over 3K. If I was in your predicament I'd do some major searching and reading on the web, including posts from users, and make a decision based on that.
good luck.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions