Spectra line for backing

General Questions

Spectra line for backing

Postby Npike » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:42 am

Hi Larry,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it on the old forum.

I have a fly reel that holds 185 yards of 30# Dacron and a 9wt line. I'd like to load this reel with 12 weight line but the backing capacity wouldn't be enough for large tarpon.

I could load 50# or 65# Spectra line for and still maintain about 250-300 yards of backing with 12 weight line.

What kind of troubles will I end up with if I use the Spectra vs. Dacron?

Looking forward to the new season of HFBF in January!

Thanks,
Mark
Npike

Postby dahlberg » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi Mark,
Spectra will work just fine. The only potential problem is it slipping on the spool. That problem can be solved by double wrapping the line over itself on the spool, or first tying on a foot or two of 30# mono and connecting the spectra to that.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jbird » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:22 am

Spectra backing is the most accepted backing in the industry these days. There are quite a few on the market that work great. Get a hi vis color so you (and your boat operator) can track the direction the fish is going. The biggest problem with spectra is it can cut to the bone in an instant. If you try to control your line with your finger while its being pulled tight, it'll cut you faster and deeper than you can believe. Make sure you guide it back on your reel in crossing layers cause spectra will dig into itself under pressure..thats a good way to lose a big fish.

Jay
jbird

Return to General Questions