conventional reels vs. casting reels

General Questions

conventional reels vs. casting reels

Postby rolando » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:45 pm

Happy Holidays!

Most of us on the north east coast use spinning reels for plug'in, jigging casting and bait fishing. I want to try a conventional or casting reel for saltwater. I have started fishing with bucktails and love'em. I also throw plugs and iron. I plan on using a 10' rod but I am not sure of what reel to use. Weights up to 1 1/2 oz this rod will not be used for bait fishing. Lures only.

Since I fish from the beach, rocks and jetties I am looking for max casting distance at a resonalble price.

Keep in mind I need a reel that can throw a 3/8th oz as well as a 3/4 oz bucktail or lure a good distance.

I use 17lb test line (mono) and 35lb power pro for braid on the reels I have now.

I am thinking about trying the Sufix lines I am looking for a line that works well on conventional reels and casts far.

Any help or suggestions from u and the readers will be great!
rolando

Postby dahlberg » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:10 am

hi r,
I'm not sure how far you need to cast or, perhaps more importantly, how much line you need to have left at the end of the cast, but your decision involves two or two and a half elements.
1) Levelwind or no levelwind
1 1/2) If levelwind, disengaging or non
2) No levelwind/stardrag
2 1/2 No levelwind/leverdrag
Plus's with levelwind is ease of use. Disengaging casts farther, but can cause drag "gallop" with some wide spool reels.(400 series shimano only available with non-disengaging levelwind for that reason)
Non levelwind simpler, thus more durable. Less total friction, but larger spool can be tricky to cast.
Star drag not as strong, adjustable on or off the fly, or wide range as lever drag. Also more expensive.
Depending on line needs. Options in cat 1 include Calcutta 400,700 and Curado 300 (my first choice,and with a 1-2'shorter rod, but you'd be stretching your strriiinng some).
In 2 the Trinidad 12,16 or Torsa 16 are in the park, although I don't think they'd through your light stuff very well.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

thanks larry!

Postby rolando » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:09 am

Since the fishing season is coming to a close here in Massachusetts I will have a few months to take my time and visit a cabelas or basspro shop to handle the rod and reel combo. I want to give conventional a try. So I will just take my time. And do more home work.

Rolando
rolando

Return to General Questions