Basswood Smallmouth

General Questions

Basswood Smallmouth

Postby JD » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:33 pm

Larry, I took your advice and booked a guided trip with John Herrick for the end of May. I thought since it's my kids first trip that it would be easier not doing it on my own!! I have been in the upper part of Quetico but never have fished Basswood. In looking at the map, I imagine that the guides would take us to the bays up North to camp and fish. Ranger Bay, North Bay and Lost Bay, etc. Have you fished these areas in the past??? What lures would you recommend for this lake?? I did notice that there are some smaller no-name lakes off the North end. Would these be worthwhile to pursue??? Also what are your thoughts about fishing the Peterson Hair Jigs for smallies?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

JD
JD

Postby dahlberg » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:36 am

Hi JD,
When fishing with John, you'll be going "where they live when they live there" so to speak. I have fished with him many times and can assure you he's on top of things and considers all options. He's one of the best of the best in all regards.
I'd love to get into specifics with you, but out of respect to John, I'd just as soon not broadcast "exactly where to go type info" over the internet. There are always many, many good places but people tend to flock to the one or two spots that get specific mention and they end up getting wrecked for everyone.
As with smallmouth everywhere, they'll bite hair jigs just great.
Bring along the usual assortment of stuff, as outlined in John's brochure, both topwater and subsurface and you'll be fine.
He uses what he calls a "high-low" system and controls the canoe with pin point accuracy by using a one handed skulling technique that's quite impressive. Have a great trip!
You've made a great choice.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Basswood Lake

Postby namtkd1 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:11 am

Hi Larry,

I am also heading up to Moose Bay for 5 days at the end of August and fishing with John on the first day. It will be our first time up there. I remember watching an episode on In-Fisherman awhile back of you and your son Aaron fishing for big smallmouth. I loved the show and wished I had recorded it when it was on TV. I am really looking forward to the trip!

Have you taped any footage at Moose Bay for "The Hunt for Big Fish" episodes? If so, will you be releasing it on DVD? I am very interested in purchasing a disc.

Thanks!

Nam
namtkd1

Postby dahlberg » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:10 am

I did a segment way back in the early '90's. Sorry, but have no0 plans to release it on dvd.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions