Casting or Trolling

General Questions

Casting or Trolling

Postby Esox_Hunter » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:43 pm

Larry, In your opinion what is better, casting or trolling for muskie. And is there a certian time when one tatic is more productive than the other.
T.J
Esox_Hunter

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:40 am

Depends on the environment.
In skinny water, or where dense cover exists on other wise featureless structure, casting is usually more effective.
Big, wide open, focus-less areas call for trolling. Same goes for if you have bunch of people in the boat who can't cast very well!
It's also not a bad idea when you're just cruising and looking, comparing one spot against another.
It's also very effective when fish are relating to break lines, weedlines and high speeds are factor. Also when fish are wanting to follow and not bite. Also when comb of speed and depth in excess of 6 feet are needed.

But I'd much rather cast! And, hopefully get to see the fish come up and follow before he bites. For me it's the visual part that I enjoy most, so I like to pick my spot on spots, and throw stuff I can see and enjoy watching in the water almost as much as I enjoy watching a musky bite it!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions