Hunt for Rare Giant Freshwater Tarpon

General Questions

Hunt for Rare Giant Freshwater Tarpon

Postby Freshwater Tarpon » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:55 pm

I would like to tell you about NicaraguaFishingSafari.com . I saw your show and have a challenge for you. The Rio Frio in Costa Rica, and the Rio San Juan in Nicaragua are home to Giant Freshwater Tarpon and Snook that have never been in saltwater. These giants, Tarpon up to 300lbs, and Snook up to 100lbs, live in river systems that have not been fished commercialy since the late 70's. The rivers are full of fish since they are not pressured. Catching a 200+ pound Tarpon, on light fly tackle, from a small boat, in a river 50 feet wide is the ULTIMATE FISHING EXPERIENCE. As im sure you know, Tarpon are tough to boat to begin with, to do it in this eviroment (which we have been doing for 20 years) is truley something worthy of your show.

Greg Sexton
Helomech@cliffhanger.com
Greg Sexton
President / Director of Marketing
No Frills Fishing Safaris
Helomech@cliffhanger.com
Freshwater Tarpon

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:03 pm

hi greg,
Thanks for the invitation. I just might take you up on it sooner than you think! In fact I think I emailed you several years ago, but your box was full!
I've fished near the out let of lake nic where the freo comes in with Phillip.
Where are you fishing?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Freshwater Tarpon

Postby Freshwater Tarpon » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:31 pm

Larry,
thank you for your promt response. I just caught the end of your show yesterday, and what little I saw, I liked. If you contacted someone named phillip on the Rio San Juan. He is a French guy (speaks little english), and he hires locals to take his customers out. I'm not trying to dog him, but that's how it is.
No Frills Fishing Safaris has been operating in both Nic and CR for almost two decades. Our guide, Martin Bernard, has been living, exploring and fishing these jungle rivers since 1986 and I don't think there is anyone else that could match his experiance and knowledge on the Rio Frio and Rio San Juan rivers, and many tributaries.
I didn't mean for this to sound like a commercial, it just looked like this is what your show is made for. Find the huge, hard to catch and hard to find fish.
Please ask any question or anything on your mind,
Thanks Larry,
Greg
Greg Sexton
Helomech@cliffhanger.com
Freshwater Tarpon

NicaraguaFishingSafari.com

Postby Freshwater Tarpon » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:37 am

Larry,
I watched your show last night, where you found secluded waters in Lake Nicaragua. Too bad you just missed us. We base out of Los Chiles, Costa Rica, which is about 20 miles south of the border of Nic and CR on the Rio Frio. If you would like to hunt for Giant Freshwater Tarpon and Snook again, please check us out. We provide our own clean water and make our own food. If you would like to go down there again, we promis great fishing without you getting sick. Martin (our guide), is British and caters to people world wide, but Americans are the bulk of our business. We have our own boats, all custom made. We have a 16 footer setup to navigate the small river systems in CR. We have a 20ft boat that can prowel the small rivers, plus Lake Nicaragua and the Rio San Juan. And we have a 26ft custom boat that is used for the lake and San Juan River. All boats are built "unsinkable" with GPS, radios, twin Merc engines that give us speed and range.
If you send me an address, I will send you some material on our operation. Your show was great in that it showed the fish that are in this area. The miserable conditions you had to endure would not exist with us, (except for the mosquitos and heat) and I promiss you a great adventure if you decide to come down there again. We have only three boats, and we want to keep it that way, as a small exclusive destination where you can fish for ten days, and never see anouther fishing boat.
Great show, thank you. You could probably show Martin some other great spots, as you are one of the most adventurest fishermen I have ever seen.
Thanks Larry, keep up the great work,
Greg Sexton
(619) 865-4841 / Helomech@cliffhanger.com
Greg Sexton
Helomech@cliffhanger.com
Freshwater Tarpon

Re: Hunt for Rare Giant Freshwater Tarpon

Postby LarryLaBallister » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:52 am

"These giants, Tarpon up to 300lbs, and Snook up to 100lbs, live in river systems that have not been fished commercialy since the late 70's. The rivers are full of fish since they are not pressured. Catching a 200+ pound Tarpon, on light fly tackle, from a small boat, in a river 50 feet wide is the ULTIMATE FISHING EXPERIENCE."

That kills me.
I won't be able to get the visuals out of my mind for week!
LarryLaBallister

Return to General Questions