Fly casting style?

General Questions

Fly casting style?

Postby fishing chick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:49 am

Larry,

I think you mentioned in your bass/panfish DVD that your dad started you out fly casting when you were four! You certainly have tight loops, so it's obvious you've been practicing for awhile.

Other than your dad, who has influenced your casting? Lefty Kreh? Mel Krieger? Joan Wulff?

Incidentally, I have recommended your bass/panfish DVD to several of my friends who were interested in learning fly fishing. It's the best A-Z guide I've seen.

Thanks.

FC
fishing chick

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:48 pm

hi fc,
When I was eleven, I got drafted by a private smallmouth flyfishing club.
A couple of the members, Phillip Pillsbury of the flour company and a guy named Chuck Walton who was head chemist at 3M were very good fly casters. Very, very good.
I learned by practice and osmosis at a very young age. I have come to realize, a high speed, controlled casting stroke whether executed with a fly, spin or bait casting rod is essentially the same.
I didn't know about any of those people until I was well in to my twenties.
I'm glad you enjoyed the panfish video. I really haven't heard much comment about it. It was admittedly low budget but Del Kause from 3M and I were hoping it might help get a few people started.
thanks for the post,
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby KM » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:47 pm

Larry:

Is that club where you made up the "flash dancer"?

The story and pattern instructions were fairly recently added to the following tying/fishing site. Neat little fly.

The Patterns link in the following site is a decent place for anyone needing step-by-step instructions for several warmwater patterns and deer hair bugs. (for the record I have no affiliation with the site)

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns3.asp?page=31

Love the show,

Kevin
KM

Return to General Questions