Finished first rod yestarday

General Questions

Finished first rod yestarday

Postby Chris M » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:04 pm

You can see it here
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i135/lost_dog1/?sc=5
I made it out a Lamiglas 7'9" Heavy act. Flippin stick w/ retractable butt. I chose the retractable butt so it will fit in any car (I hope). I built it to use on the jetties in Northern California for Rockfish and Lingcod. I spiral or acid wrapped the guides so I don't sacrifice torque for rod twists when I'm really wrenching to get a fish out of the rocks. Also with acid wrap you can use less guides when it wraps under so you don't need as many guides to keep the line off the rod. This reduces weight and also adds sensitivity. The rear cork is in two pieces for reduced weight and added sensitivity also. I used a Fuji palm support reel seat for better grip and because I never use a trigger reel seat the way it's intended.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby dahlberg » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:39 am

Nice job! Rod building, especially when making one that's fine=tuned for a specific application is something that adds another dimention to angling.
You're hooked now, and I bet you make another half dozen within the next 12 months!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby kj197728 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:57 pm

I was thinking about rod building myself. Can Larry or someone else inform of what the basic equipment is needed to start out with. I know online they show some stuff to get started but it seems like they are just trying to make a sale on unnecessary equipment that you would hardly use. Thanks to anyone that can help me out.
kj197728

Postby dahlberg » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:51 am

hi kj,
I've built dozens using a cardboard box with a couple of notches cut on each end to support the blank and maintained thread tension with a phone book.
All you need in addition to the teacup to hold the thread is a scissors or razor blade to cut the thread.
when you've finished wrapping the guides and you've applied a thin coat of epoxy finish, you'll have to be patient and continue rotate the rod until the finish sets up, or you might get "sags" in the finish. I use a barbeque spit to keep mine turning while in the drying process.
No need to get fancy. Just keep it clean.
It's very easy, something a handy 12 year old could do.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jbird » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:35 am

kj

Have a look at this link. Its a simple, consice tutorial on rod building. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/g ... index.html

If you want the 'motherload' on ordering rodbuilding supplies, try http://shop.mudhole.com/

hope this helps :)

Jay
jbird

Postby Chris M » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:11 pm

kj,
Just get the basics. I rented a rod dryer from a local fly shop, $5 a week. I used a couple stacks of books (after the pics were taken) with one open on top to hold the rod while I turned it. I just wrapped some paper towel around the areas that were on the book. The thread was in my lap and I ran it through a Cabelas hard cover to keep tension.
The two problems I had were looking at it as one big job. When I sat down and started I realized it is separate little jobs that are fun and easy. The other was the brushes I bought. Don't buy cheap brushes!

http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

This site is awesome with information. Even if you don't want to register you can search for past topics and find just about any info you need.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Return to General Questions