Converting 3 piece to 1 piece rod

General Questions

Converting 3 piece to 1 piece rod

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:46 am

I have a 3 piece travel surf rod... on the cast occasionally one of the sections will come loose w the cast and it drives me crazy.
Is there any reason why I can’t or shouldn’t just epoxy the sections together to make it a one piece?

I don’t plan on traveling with it anymore.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Converting 3 piece to 1 piece rod

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:28 pm

Other then you will no longer have a "travel rod", that will work.

The connections or ferrules are tapered so I have taken a little clear fingernail polish and coated one side of the mail ferrule and let it dry. It takes up the extra space and makes the connection a bit sticky. The clear fingernail polish will wear off in time, but it works well enough. A little will do it.

I bit a thin coat of super glue would do the same thing. Apply, dry, then connect.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Ok I’ll give it a try- thanks for the tip appreciate your knowledge
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby jhillman17 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:28 pm

I think they also make a ferrule wax to help with loose connections. Never tried it, but heard of people using it on fly rods when connections get worn down.
jhillman17

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:17 pm

Yes, I have heard of the wax, and once used paraffin wax for this. What I was trying to do was to help him maintain the "travel" aspect of the rod, and my experience with wax was that it collected dirt and caused the connection to stick, and to stick bad.

But, yes, wax will work.
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:04 am

Best wax I have used for that purpose is XC ski wax in blue or green! Hot, hot weather may tend to degrade it a little, but it's much stickier than paraffin.
The other fairly simple option is high quality electricians tape or silicone Rescue tape.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:15 am

Read all of the advice and I do think I need to bulk out the ferrules a little.

Something I use all the time on the job to help keep threads water tight is tefflon tape to bulk out the threads slightly and to keep a tight seal. Decided to light buff the ferrules with a little 220 grit sand paper and put a few wraps of Teflon on to bulk the ferrules out. So far so good. The connections are sticking really well and overall the rod feels like it has better backbone oddly enough. Probably because everything is cinched in more tightly.

Decided to just try something a little different for the sake of science. I’ll let you guys know if it’s worth it’s salt. Would be nice if the tefflon works because it won’t leave residue and isn’t permanent.
RhettWheeler

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:07 pm

We await the results. Love to see people thinking outside the box.
aka anglinarcher

Postby RhettWheeler » Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 am

Teflon tape is working great had a couple trips out chucking some good weight and the sections haven’t slipped even once. Pretty glad I took your wise advice and didn’t glue the sections-my honeymoon will be in islamorada this September. Might try to pick off a few small tarpon or some snook down in the Keys.
RhettWheeler

Return to General Questions