Synchronize levelwind

General Questions

Synchronize levelwind

Postby Tigerlily » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 am

Hi Larry:
Are low profile reels with synchronize levelwind better for you line than non synchronize?. I referíng to saltwater reels and fishing for big fish like Tarpon, Tuna etc. It seems like the non syncronized would create a lot of friction and damage the line during long runs.

Thank you!
Tigerlily

Re: Synchronize levelwind

Postby dahlberg » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:00 am

If the spool and the level wind get out of sync (the wider the spool the more it is magnified) and you have significant drag, it can tear the level wind mechanism right out of it's track, not to mention the "drag gallop" caused by the radical angle differences between the lines location on the spool and where the level wind is as the line is ripping out ! If a reel is narrow spooled and the distance between the spool and the level wind guide is sufficient the problem is greatly minimized or even eliminated.
Great question incidentally! thanks for the post.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Tigerlily » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Thank you for the information. I always learn a lot from the information you provide in this forum and your show. Do you have any recommendations on low profile reels with synchronized level wind. At least a size 300. Seems like most companies are no longer making them. Again thank you for your awesome information and happy Thanksgiving!
Tigerlily

Postby dahlberg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Same to you, and I'm glad you enjoy the forum. Thanks for the post and for saying so! Lew's is coming out with a reel that is the right size next season. I was testing it on redfish this week and it's really excellent. Otherwise maybe you can find a used Calcutta TE 300.

best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions