Deep Diver

General Questions

Deep Diver

Postby Jerry Borst » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:45 pm

HI Larry,
I saw your show today for the 1st time, Way cool!
I'm trying to reach depths below 40' using 30lb single strand wire with as short of a line as possible, what lures do you recommend?
Jerry
Spoonplugger/Instructor
Jerry Borst

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:26 am

Hi Jerry,
There's not many spoon pluggers left out there even though it really is an effective technique.
Any of the "stretch" series lures should get to the depth you're looking for, but at higher speeds you might have to strap yourself in the the boat!
best,
L
ps you might want to try 7 or 49 strand wire rather than monel. It's much easier to control on the reel and less likely to form a cursive "e" in the line if you get a twist.
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Jerry Borst » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:41 pm

Larry
Thanks for the quick response!
There are probably more spoonpluggers than you might think, (they just don't say a whole lot) in fact Saturday there will be a good size group of us getting together for our winter seminar.

You might know of Vic Saunders? The former "go devil" man, (fishing news) we talk often and he'll be there as well. He's got some great stories of the early days, maybe Al or Ron may have talked of him or Terry O'Malley. Just yesterday Vic said "he remembers those two when all they did was fish pan fish", a lot of other good stuff as well. Art Wallson/ cisco kid etc. In those days soon after Mr. Perry gave away his discoveries everyone had a bait to sell.... today a lot of baits for sale, but minimal knowledge.

Anyway thanks again, I knew about the Man's stretch but always looking for something better, & been using single strand for quite a while so break offs don't happen to often any more. See you on the tv!

Jerry Borst
Spoonplugger/Instructor
Jerry Borst

Postby Henry Schmidt » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:01 pm

I have fond memories of as a teenager, sitting at the local library reading Fishing Facts magazine and absorbing everything Mr. Perry wrote. I was really surprised to find spoonplugs on sale in a nearby town tackle shop.
Henry Schmidt

Return to General Questions