Big fish rods

General Questions

Big fish rods

Postby Tigerlily » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:59 am

Hi Larry:
Would you recommend the 7' Big fish rod for big Tarpon?

Thanks
Tigerlily

Re: Big fish rods

Postby dahlberg » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:26 am

My friends in Trinidad have been testing them on Tarpon for several months after I left them a few on my last visit there. They worked great with lures and live baits of "normal" size, using 65 lb braid. They were too light for the two foot long ribbonfish.
If you're looking for an ugly stick type unbreakable, don't care how heavy it is type rod this is not for you. It's more of a light weight finesse feeling rod that if held so the butt stays horizontal, can lift a 15 pound weight of the ground, so it's capable of serious heat for it weight class! Whether it's good for "large" tarpon depends on what you call large. In trinidad we don't call them large unless they are legit 200 pounders! It would not be my choice for giants like that, but a typical large florida tarpon in the 100-130 lb class should not be any more of a problem than they normally are! The 2 power versions would in my opinion be better all around tarpon rods than the 1 power, but as I said, we've caught lots on the 7' one power. Lots depends on your own fish fighting style and how much pressure you looking to apply in relation to how heavy or light the tackle is that you prefer.
best
L.
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions