Travel Rod suggestions

General Questions

Travel Rod suggestions

Postby Multifish » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Larry,

I was planning on buying more of the 7ft6in XH MHX popping blanks that you helped design, but MHX no longer produces them.

Do you have any suggestions on where I can get these blanks or where I can get similar blanks?

I absolutely loved those XH blanks, they could legitimately cast 16oz worth of weight and bait when necessary and handle nearly any sized saltwater fish as well as any big game freshwater fish and the best part was they were 2-piece! I could take them with me anywhere in the world since the rod fit in the over head bins of airplanes.

If you have any extra blanks or suggestions on similar 80lb class 2-piece rods, please let me know.
Multifish

Re: Travel Rod suggestions

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Hey Multi,
you will be glad to know we launched an entire two piece series based on the same tapers with Temple Fork.(TFO) Nothing on line about them yet but they are available to dealers. The 3 power, which is available in six inch increments from seven and a half to eight and a half feet and from in 4 powers. No blanks yet, but conventional models have been shipped. TFO office could tell you who or where. The spinning versions are coming in the near future in the same powers and lengths.
The tapers we used on the mhx and tfo are based on blanks I first had made up back in the late seventies and early eighties. I've been thru over a half dozen makers and tweaks and these are the best so far.
thanks for the post, I will be interested as to what you think.
regards,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Multifish » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Excellent!

I will watch out for these rods and blanks!
Multifish

Postby Bob Daly » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:23 pm

Just bought the 7ft 6 inch power 3 and really nice. Should have no problems with golden dorado, PNG bass, etc... Looking forward to the spinning version which I can use for GTs! 8)
Bob Daly

Postby Multifish » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 pm

Where can I get these rods from?

If conventionals are all that is avalible at the moment I may just have my rod builder strip one down?

Is there a date yet for when blanks will be avalible?
Multifish

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:36 pm

If you contact tfo they should be able to tell you who has them in stock. the two piece feature really makes shipping easy.
not sure when the spinning rods are coming, but I would hate to see you strip down a finished rod. I would guess it would be much quicker to get blanks than it would finished rods. when do you need the spinning rod? the reason I ask is I have a few baitcaster protos that have that new weird trigger that's supposed to make palming easier, but I think totally sucks. I will never use them but would work something out with you if you come up short on all other efforts!
best

L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:34 am

Multifish: You might consider writing Mike Dove who is the TFO manufacturers representative for the Midwest. His email is dovetfo@yahoo.com 8) I talked to him at the Chicago fishing show where I purchased my rod
doradokiller
Bob Daly

Postby Multifish » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:08 am

Thank you Larry and Bob.

I will look into sending an email to the address you gave me.

At the same time, I think patience might be the best route to go for now. I would like to see what the spinning rods are like and they may just fit what I am looking for in a build (which mostly has to do with getting rods with a long enough butt so casting heavy weights becomes more efficient).
Multifish

Postby Multifish » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:09 am

What do the split lengths of these rods happen too be?

50/50? 60/40? 70/30?
Multifish

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:22 pm

The ferrules on the big fish series are located in the bottom quarter. We really do need to list the breakdown length so, thanks for asking! The 7'6" er breaks down to 5'. you can add about 3" for every extra 6" in rod length. No prob to travel with.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Recently had the opportunity to field test the Big Fish spinning rods designed by Larry during my trip for GTs in the Maldives. I had the 8ft 6in 2 piece models with power ratings of 2,3, and 4. All of these rods are extremely light and very strong. The casting handle allows for extra long casts while the weight allowed me to fish with monster stickbaits in 100 deg temps without getting exhausted! No problem handling anything which swim with these rods!

Larry, been getting lots of emails since I got back about the availability. Any idea when they will be up for sale? 8)

If anybody has any questions on these rods I'll try my best to answer them at doradokiller@hotmail.com
Bob Daly

Return to General Questions