Fishing a new place for the first time?

General Questions

Fishing a new place for the first time?

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:26 am

Hi Larry, I thought it might be fun to draw some knowledge from your vast experience. I have a series of questions, simple for the most part, that only you can answer.

For the first question, a little background is necessary. Most of us will never fish exotic places, but almost all of us will fish a new place for the first time.

When you go to a NEW place to you, how do you determine what tackle and equipment to take?

Personally, I always take too much, and end up wishing I had more. :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock: But, if you and I were going to fish Lake Lunker in the State of Somewhere out there, what steps should we take to determine what to take?
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: Fishing a new place for the first time?

Postby dahlberg » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:27 am

First thing look at lake map and determine possible environmental options. Then a bunch of pretty standard "tools" consisting of both vertical and horizontal lures, from crank baits to soft plastics. If it's not spawning time or the shallows have no visibility I first run the edges of the basins to check out adjacent shelves and possible suspended forage at high speed. also looking for "types" of spots. slop, points, flats, rock, weeds, etc. then begin fishing different options based on what I've seen. If visibility is excellent I may well run the shallows and inside weed edges looking for stuff before I run the basin. It's kind of like taking a quick pulse reading.
I don't worry at all about having anything specific with me. But, if i find the place interesting and return, I will weight my arsenal toward what I learned on the first expedition or might make or modify something specifically for that place. Mostly though, I make my first trip really loose and with a totally wide open mind and don't expect to really tune it in until the next visit.
great question!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Fishing a new place for the first time?

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks Larry, I have often said I would visit a body of water without fishing equipment so I did not get distracted.....but just can't bring myself to do it. :lol:

I appreciate your input.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to General Questions