La Zona

General Questions

La Zona

Postby Fisherking » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:15 am

Larry, Bob or anybody else with solid information...
When is the best time to go to La Zona? I'm trying to book a trip a couple of years in advance and I want to make sure we go at the right time. I'm assuming there are windows for big fish, numbers, etc?
Thanks in advance!
John
Fisherking

Re: La Zona

Postby Bob Daly » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi John: All depends on what type of fishing you want to do. Fly fishing top water best time is Jan through March. In April the levels can go up so opportunity for some trolling. May is similar to April but levels can get higher. Avoid June through first few weeks in Sept as winter down there. End of September and October can be good for monsters as the dorado are full of spawn which takes place in November, but there is a chance of heavy rains which could postpone your trip. In December the levels again come down. Last year the lodge record of 60+lbs was landed in December. I have always gone since La Zona Lodge opened every year in April. I like to troll which in my opinion offers the best opportunity for a monster of over 50lbs. So far I have 3 of them and numerous in the 40lbs range. I think best time for numbers and chance for a 50 would be in Feb through March. As you probably know these months fill fast. Also price varies by when you go with Jan through April being the most expensive. There is a great website which updates the levels twice per day. Also I am in contact with the guides practically every week so if you want to talk dorado email me at doradokiller@hotmail.com
BEst of luck, Bob Daly---doradokiller
Bob Daly

Return to General Questions