Question about transporting rods via airline

General Questions

Question about transporting rods via airline

Postby Questor » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:19 am

The good news is that my son moved to a great place to fish in Oregon trout country. The bad news is that I need to travel there regularly with my 9 foot 2 piece fly rods, 9 foot 2 piece surf rod, and 8.5 foot 2 piece steelhead rod.

Can you give me any tips on how I should handle them as airline baggage? I usually just take carry on luggage, but these won't work as carry ons. I imagine that any rod case will need to be unlocked so TSA can poke around in there, but I really don't know what the rules are now.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I appreciate it.

Best wishes for happy holidays and a great 2016.

I found this from a couple of years ago, but assume things may have changed.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18984&p=28010&hilit=airline#p28010
Questor

Re: Question about transporting rods via airline

Postby dahlberg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Congrats to your son! I pack mine in a single tube, in rod socks and tape the cap shut. I've written open at this end where the tape is.I've had no issues so far.
best wishes for a great holidays!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks. That's similar to what I've done in the past, so it's good to know that it still works. In my tube I've had to secure the rods with a wadded up sweatshirt to keep them from rattling back and forth. We'll see what TSA thinks of my luggage. Last time I flew it was to help with some home repairs, so I had a drill, extension cord, tools, hack saw, and a bunch of other unlikely stuff in my suitcase. They searched the bag and left me a little note. I wonder what they think about waders, wading cleats, knives, pliers, and similar fishing essentials.
Questor

Postby Bob Daly » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Make sure to check with the airlines as some are even placing length restrictions on checked baggage. I got away from the rodcase and use a rifle case as much easier to carry around.
doradokiller 8)
Bob Daly

Return to General Questions