MHX X-heavy 7ft 6in rod

General Questions

MHX X-heavy 7ft 6in rod

Postby Multifish » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Hello Larry, I was looking and having a rod built on the MHX 7ft 6in 2-piece x-heavy blank that you designed with MHX.

I was going to use the rod for large flathead and bluecatfish, but also use it for saltwater travel. I would be fishing larger baits with the rod for grouper, shark, etc... from piers and boats with a Spheros 10000SW mounted to the rod. I was also going to have the butt end of the rod extended 6in.

Will this blank work well for what I mentioned? And, what are your experiances while using this specific blank? Thank you.
Multifish

Re: MHX X-heavy 7ft 6in rod

Postby dahlberg » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:53 am

I've done a similar treatment to the blank in terms of adding a butt extension and it worked out very well. The xh is a real meat stick and should work out well for what you need. I've used it both with very large lures, up to nearly a pound, and also with live and dead bait. From what I can tell, at this point in time anyway, it's one of the only options for a two piece rod with enough power to do what you're looking to do.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Multifish » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks!

You are right, it is "one of the only options" that I have been able to find in a quality graphite blank that break down to less the 60in and have the power rating and lure weight rating that this blank has; I have spent a decent amount of time searching though factory rods and blanks that were 2-piece and 8ft. While there are a fair number of rods that separate at the reel seat and have the right ratings, it still leaves me with a rod section pushing 6ft or more which still isn't very travel friendly.

I am glad that I was able to find this blank and I look forward to recieving it and putting it to use.

Just curious, what kind of fish do you fish for and/or catch using this blank?
Multifish

Postby dahlberg » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:39 pm

I use it for tossing extremely heavy lures or lures that take a stiff stick to make them move the way I want. As fas as species, everything from popping for cuberas and roosters, to chucking big lures for muskies, pcock bass, redfish, even sharks and tuna following shrimpers,.. the list is long!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions