Whiggly problems..??

General Questions

Whiggly problems..??

Postby Gaebler20 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:17 pm

To anyone having problems with whiggly...

The thing I noticed, as u know others have also had, is that whiggly tends to roll on its side when trying to burn or twitch fast..I also noticed it didn't quite have the action that Larry's has had or just not as much as you expected..
Easy solution...just heat them up a little..whether in the microwave or heating with a torch or heat gun..
I noticed the difference when I used one right out of the package and painted another with alumidust..the painted one had a lot better action, didn't roll at all, and seemed a lot more flexible...so, if anyone is having problems with whiggly, easiest thing to do is heat it up a bit...

Larry, have you ever noticed a difference like this??
Gaebler20

Re: Whiggly problems..??

Postby dahlberg » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:17 am

Hmmm, that's rather strange. Did you put one in the microwave? With the metal tube and steel balls inside the lure I would be afraid to do that!
My guess is that you may have had a slightly crooked one that was from the earliest batch, and heating it relaxed the plastic enough to make it more straight. Just a guess!
Were both lures from the same package??
thanks for the post!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Gaebler20 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:39 am

I tried the microwave for a few seconds and it worked ok..I used a heat gun with the alumidust, and that worked a lot better..they're were both in the same package..I'm assuming they're the newer batch, cause I was told that by the guys at thorne bros...I have noticed that all of my whiggly's are slightly curved at the tail...Im not sure if that's the reason, but the ones I heated up for sure work better...
Regardless though, still twitching and ripping, and still catching big pike and 'skies...still believe that this is the best musky lure ever made...
Gaebler20

Postby dahlberg » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks for the info. Glad your still catching fish. I'm curious, how many fish are you getting out of one lure? When the leader slides properly, I've had a dozen or more on my originals and they hang together even with some pretty deep gashes.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Gaebler20 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:25 pm

I haven't lost any from being torn up..the 2 I've lost have been from the leader breaking... I've gone thru at least 2 dozen leaders..they keep cutting and wearing thru at the mouth of the lure...I've solved it finally..doubled 100lb. fluorocarbon leader...holds up a lot better..
Fished today on Moose Lake outside Grand Rapids...lost a 40ish and caught a 30"...had at least a dozen follows, but nothing over low 40's...back to the St. Louis River tomorrow..
Gaebler20

Postby dahlberg » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:33 am

Thanks for the note. The lake right across the street from the one you mentioned is where I'd be pitching Whigs if I were you!!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Gaebler20 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:48 am

I did...didn't see anything...water is really deep..put xl saltwater hook on to get it deeper, but no takers..I'll be back though...
Gaebler20

Postby detroitmuskie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:46 pm

What about if you leave it out on the deck in the sun for a bit? Will that help? I love this bait but no matter what I do it will roll on its side. I want that slight thump from the action of burning it in over cabbage on channel edges. I hate to say it but I'm not a buck tail guy and hate pulling them in. Yes, they catch fish but I'd rather burn a Whiggley or something else. Burning or pulling blades is not fun, exhausting and I was looking for Whiggley to burn in. Also, Whiggley would be awesome with a paddle tail!! Twitching it is awesome and I like this method but sometimes I want a reaction strike so I'm hoping I can find a way to have it run in straight and have that swimming action!
detroitmuskie

Postby Gaebler20 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:26 pm

I don't think it'll help in the sun...you need to get it really hot..almost to the point of melting it..use a heat gun or small torch...probably the only way to get it hot enough...
And use a heavier hook and leave the weights in...that should work...
Gaebler20

Postby Gaebler20 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:44 pm

Detroit...another thing I've done is instead of pulling bucktails, which I'm not that big a fan if either, is putting blades on the front of smaller swimbaits..get the spring dawg or mini Medusa and put the dozer blades in the front...essentially the same as a bucktails then, but has a different action..I catch way more fish doing this than with bucktails..I've pretty much stopped throwing bucktails all together and do this instead...
Even when whiggly isn't producing, I catch fish with this...it's definitely worth a shot..especially on high pressured water...from the sound of your name, I'm assuming you fish lake st. clair...I know people catch muskies all the time on swimbaits...try this..I can almost guarantee it'll work...
Gaebler20

Return to General Questions