Rods for Amazon

General Questions

Rods for Amazon

Postby Jonk » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi Larry : can you give insight on taking rods from home verse using outfitters rods going to the jungle! Don't know if allowed to haul one piece rods on charter or if weight issue red flags idea. My experience with fishing travel agents , Big pack lies on condition, selection rods an reels. How do you roll. Thanks
Jonk

Re: Rods for Amazon

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:06 am

For years I used telescoping seven and a half footers which would pack down to around six feet. I then went to two piece mhx blanks that are ferruled about 1/3 of the way up the butt. I just received samples of a three piece eight foot finished rod i'm working on with TFO (in fact I fished it this morning with 3 1/2 oz lures) that will break down to just under three feet. Planning on a series to include both spin and baitcast for chucking and working large lures.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Jonk » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks for info, do you recall how much extra $$ airlines charge for one piece rods from U S to brazil an charter flight TFO with Gary Loomis an yourself = win win Thanks
Jonk

Postby Badger1992 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:35 pm

Larry,

I'm excited you're designing some travel rods with TFO! I feel this has been a slightly neglected segment of the rod market.

Jonk, bring your own rods! You don't want to rely on an outfitters equipment, that's for sure.
Badger1992

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:47 pm

Most of the time it's around $75 up to a couple hundred, depending on the agent. As you may know, often the seven foot tubes have issues getting in the smaller planes.
Regarding the use of "lodge" rods, I'm with Badger on that one and would not take the chance.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Jonk » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:01 pm

Good advice from both you! Thanks
Jonk

Postby Bob Daly » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Highly recommend you check with the airlines as some will not allow anything over 48in in checked baggage anymore. If over some airlines put them on their cargo flights so who knows when they would arrive. Better safe than sorry. For golden dorado I have been using 2 piece musky rods made by Bass Pro Shops and have yet to have one break. Also used these in catching some big Lau Lau in Suriname. A quality spinning 2 piece rod would be a Trevala Jigging rod by Shimano.
Good luck
doradokiller! 8)
Bob Daly

Return to General Questions