No hook musky rig

General Questions

No hook musky rig

Postby Huntfor50 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Larry-when will you know the fish swallowed the bait? What is your "success" ratio with no hook versus the magic hook? Thanks, jay.
Huntfor50

Re: No hook musky rig

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:08 am

Lots depends on size of bait vs size of fish. there is no way to know for sure other than slowly lift the fish until it's close enough to see what's going on. I usually watch the behavior of the fish. After the fish stops and I see the shake, shake, shake while the bait is being turned and swallowed I assume it's time.
My percentages are in the 90 percentile with the magic hook, around 60 percent with no hook.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Huntfor50 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:31 am

Thanks Larry. I assumed it wasn't black and white. I lost two fish the other day because the fish never swallowed it. I was drifting in a river situation and the fish swam downstream with the boat. Eventually it stopped but I believe my efforts to get closer prevented it from swallowing the larger bait. Of course my friend, who is a naysayer regarding this method, laughed both times and repeatedly reminded me I should of been using a quick strike. His quick strike never got bit....
Huntfor50

Postby Huntfor50 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:45 am

Larry, just a couple last questions, sorry. Can you recommend a hook size/flavor for the magic hook and what wire size do you recommend for the bridleing. I really want to make this work as I see the benefits of the livelier bait.

And when targeting big fish (trying to get that river 50), what would be your recommended strategy,I.e. Focus on timing, low light, riffles, holes, wood?

Thanks again Larry for taking the time. Jay
Huntfor50

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:09 pm

I use an octopus style hook in 4/0-6/0 size and 30-60 lb nylon coated wire.
Location depends on the river and what features it offers. They are all a little different.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Huntfor50 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks Larry. I'll let you know how I do as the season goes on. I really enjoy your show and your willingness to zig when everyone else zags. Jay
Huntfor50

Return to General Questions