Rod building

General Questions

Rod building

Postby Caja » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:39 pm

I do a lot of river fishing lost three rods in some rapids over the last five years. Wondering if the alumi foam or flex foam used as handles or for grips would work in place of cork, for floating rod and reel. Maybe alumi foam as core with flex foam for outer for feel.
Caja

Re: Rod building

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:11 am

Both cork and EVA are quite buoyant and if enough is used in the handle and the reel is not too heavy will float a rod. Suggest trying that first!
Not sure what caused you to turn turtle, but would suggest a serious examination of that as well! Best to strap everything in before navigating questionable rapids, but i'm sure you're in the process of figuring that out!
Please, be safe. Rods, reels and tackle are replaceable, which is not the case with sons, dads, brothers, uncles,etc.

best L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Rod building

Postby lilpdriverrat » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:17 am

Caja,

I have made some rods that float by doing pretty much what you have said but with the carbon fiber skinned over the expanding foam. Most of the time, depending mainly on the reel, the handle had/has to be quite large in diameter to allow the rod to float...so much that it it quite uncomfortable but I have figured some things out and know about another product that may be right up your alley. Get in touch.
lilpdriverrat

Return to General Questions