Problems With Finishing Lures

General Questions

Problems With Finishing Lures

Postby jbrucker » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:32 pm

I am a new lure maker that is having problems with my paint jobs. Currently I am making wood lures. I am using B-I-N shellac base primer, Createx airbrush paints, and Enviro Tex Lite epoxy. After using my last lure for a few hours the paint job cracked off. Should I be using a different primer or epoxy? I did notice that after testing my most recent lure in a pool the primer was starting to fade and crack.
jbrucker

Re: Problems With Finishing Lures

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:18 am

I'm not a paint/primer expert as I know there are tons of options and paints people use but lately we've been using the Copic paint system to quickly and easily air brush our lures. Once completely dried, then we use either Alumilite's AlumiUV (UV or blacklight cure) or Alumilite's Amazing Clear Cast (2 part epoxy) both work very well and are both extremely durable.

You can also use the Copic paint system on your soft plastic lures. Once dried, simply redip into a very thin batch of clear Alumisol heavily loaded with Softener to lock in the color.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:57 am

There are so many variables when it comes to finishing wood lures it's impossible to know for sure what went wrong. Could be the wood was not cured enough, or that it was not totally sealed, or there were issues with bonding either the acrylic to your base coat or the epoxy to the acrylic.
(Issues of this nature is why I switched to resin years ago) also, different woods seem to have different characteristics in how well they accept sealers, etc.
I would suggest, especially if you are using soft wood, to do two or three applications of sealer and lightly sanding between coats to make sure the pores are all closed up and filled.
I would then suggest using a primer before you do your final painting. Make sure you allow plenty of time for the paint to dry before applying the final clear coat.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby box » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:00 pm

I'm by no means an expert but a friend shared with me a few years ago that cutting the basic shape of the wood you can soak it in Thompsons for up to 24 hours. Make sure to let it dry very well (like several days or a week). The you can do your carving or lathe work. After that prime and paint it as you like.
I've done his with many musky baits and they've held up for years.
box

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:56 am

I have had good luck with thompsons, but it would be far more efficient to first shape the lure, then apply sealer.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions