Giant Beetle Spins

General Questions

Giant Beetle Spins

Postby puckfisher » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:57 am

Larry: Your last show demonstrated a giant spinner bait that you preferred to other spinnerbaits. I'm guessing you've tinkered and modified these things and wondered how you approach the blades and trailers/skirts you can use on these.There are a lot of blade options nowadays and I wondered if you have a combination or two that you prefer(let's say for big pike).
puckfisher

Re: Giant Beetle Spins

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:15 am

that's great topic. I could go on for an hour. there are many mods that can be made to spinnerbaits. in regards to pike I like to do three things to the fuselage specific to pike, and vary the spinner shape and size based on other things. I like to use a jig head/split ring/safety pin spinner combo so it hinges. I find much better hook ups, especially on the larger fish. also of course a full circle rather than a bend where the steel leader connects to keep it from sliding up to the blade.
also like a little shorter arm and try to get to have a little "hitch in it's giddy-up" now and then and miss half a beat. Also like to bulk up the skirt (silicone) a little and add a soft plastic body of some kind. favorite all round blade is a hildibrandt willowleaf from size 8 down to 4 1/2. Heads from 3/8 up to an ounce or better. no double "up-down" hooks or otherwise as it results in too many throat shots. IMO it's likely the most versatile pike bait ever and totally modifiable while in the boat!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:07 am

good stuff. do you like contrasting colors in the blade, skirt, trailer combo? Is your retrieve for pike slow and steady or choppy and does the blade still work on the drop? Do you add a trailer hook? I don't fish pike much anymore but have A trip planned. Funny, I have tried several styles of these baits on peacocks with poor success. I never see you throw these on your shows for Peacocks. Similar experience?
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:34 pm

for pike I use white or chartreuse or orange or yellow or some combination. if doesn't work, black.
blades I use a wide variety. yes, on the drop. I give it a few variations in speed on every retrieve for sure.
they work on pcock when they're on the inside sand "fingers", but otherwise I agree.
L.
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions