Frog trailers on Jigs

General Questions

Frog trailers on Jigs

Postby Maceye » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:33 pm

I am from Minot, ND. The past few years we have had a big crop of leopard frogs. So naturally the walleye and pike have been really keying in on them and feeding on frogs heavily. I have been trying to find a soft plastic trailer that resembles frogs to put on my jig. There is a lot of different kinds available but none are the size I want or offered in the right colors. Most everything is built for bass and the realism and action is pretty bad. Do you have any good recommendations? I have used live frogs in the past but it is a pain in the butt. Also I have caught walleyes with mud around their mouths and frogs in their belly's which would tell me that the fish can smell or hear the frogs as well see them. Do you know of any frog scents? Have you ever thought of making a frog trailer for jigs? Any insight you may have regarding this technique would be much appreciated. thanks
Maceye

Re: Frog trailers on Jigs

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:21 am

Don't want you to think that we are not seeing your post, just thinking about it first. I bet Larry has more experience then I do for sure, so perhaps he is also thinking about it.

I personally have never seen frog leg trailers, but I can see a use for them. I also have never seen Frog scent. I can see a use for it as well, and now that you mention it, I wonder why there is none sold. :idea:

I cannot help you on the scent, but I can offer suggestions for a jig trailer. Larry's Dahlberg's Diver Frog has an excellent replacement leg that would be perfect for this. Additionally, you take the legs, modify them, and make a mold to pour your own version.

http://www.river2seausa.com/topwater/48 ... -frog.html
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:49 pm

I've caught many big bass, pike and walleyes on regular bass jigs tipped with a frog hooked dead center in the nose. Usually clip the front legs as well.
No doubt if you're on to where the migration hits the water and the froggies go to sleep a jig should be great. Maybe even better with a set of lets and froggie looking body.
One trick in water six feet deep or less is to put your tip deep in the water and swim a diving frog down until it hits bottom. give it a few shakes, then let it float up a foot or two and repeat. if you keep pressure on it and your tip is within a foot or two of the bottom you can make the frog actuall dig into the bottom as it crawls slowly forward.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby bassfighter1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:46 pm

Hey Angle Bio Edge Makes A Frog Scent,I Never Used It I Always Have Luck With The Crawfish Scent
bassfighter1

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks Bass, I had better check out Bio Edge. Out on the water today I discovered that my last partner, 1800 miles away, must have kept my stash of scent. Fishing for LMB in 49 degree water, foot and a half visibility, without scent was tough today. LOL I guess I should have planned better. :idea:

I think he took it personally when I banned liquid and scents from my boat because they were so messy. Must have taken the stick stuff ......... :lol:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to General Questions