Long shank VS. Short shank treble hooks?

General Questions

Long shank VS. Short shank treble hooks?

Postby MikeW87 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:07 pm

What are advantages to using a long shank treble vs. a short shank & vice versa? I thought I remember seeing a fishing show (might have been Larry’s) where they had stated a long shank hook has better cam action, therefore better hooking.

I have a soft plastic musky lure that currently has 4/0 long shank trebles on it but I’ve lost 2 big fish on it (only used the lure on 1 trip), which I think was because the hooks are too small & don't stick out past the sides of the bait. I tried putting 7/0 long shank trebles on the bait but that caused the hooks to tangle with each other & tangle with the tail & blades. If I can find short shank 7/0 trebles I plan on using those. Having larger/wider hooks that stick out on both sides of the bait I believe will give me a better hooking percentage, I hope.

Thanks
MikeW87

Re: Long shank VS. Short shank treble hooks?

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:38 am

Not sure how cam action relates to J hooks, but can tell you that the longer shank will create a more parallel angle between the vector the hook is penetrating at and the vector that the line is pulling, which if all other things are equal should yield better in hard tissue.
The shorter shank will tip more which great for catching soft flesh but not as good for penetrating bone.
I would try larger hooks, but always bear in mind that when using large soft plastics sometimes the bait balls up in the fishes mouth and you done get a hook up!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions