Squid Fishing

General Questions

Squid Fishing

Postby WhoDaMan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Larry I sent you a clear plastic lure I made that you can put a light stick in years ago. Now I am going to Mazatlan and want to fish for some really big squid. One is painted with glow in the dark paint. One has holographic tape on it and the other is fitted for light sticks to go inside. I fixed the lures I can add fish inside as another attractor. Have you ever fished for squid? The lures have 7/0 J-hooks attached with stainless steel screws. They will only let me fish for them in the daylight so I can adjust weight to get them down to 1200'. There is 600lb toothy critter wire for leaders. I have pictures of the lures I can send you. You are one of the only Hero's I have so I would appreciate any help.
WhoDaMan

Re: Squid Fishing

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:48 pm

yes, I remember. the only squid I've fished for were three footers behind the boat at night in the lights with squid jigs. I cannot imagine fishing for the big boys, especially in that depth of water. Sounds like a real ink fest! You might end up with a giant swordie.
I'd think the challenge will be to find exactly where they are. Not sure about hook ups since their actual mouth is a beak. There has to be a good reason why squid specific jigs are designed with all those spikes instead of hooks. Might have to make some kind of flying hook rig with trebles and target the tentacles.
Let me know how you do. Love to see pics of your lures.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby WhoDaMan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:01 pm

how do I send the pictures...or email me ib.whodaman@gmail.com

Thanks
WhoDaMan

Postby WhoDaMan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Dealing with 6-15 foot long squids I thought the barb lures might be under gunned. The one large lure has 8-7/0 j-hooks...one of the lures is set up with 2 sets of trebles and 4-7/0 j-hooks. Will wear goggles and dark clothes anticipating the inking.....we think alike...kinda scary
WhoDaMan

Return to General Questions