Plastic Tungsten Jig

General Questions

Plastic Tungsten Jig

Postby Jigfishn10 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:25 am

I tried my hand at making a plastic tungsten color through jig head:
http://bassfishingphotos.com/images/38/50/00000063.jpg

And didn't achieve what I was really looking for. Don't get me wrong, I like what I got, but I missed out on a couple of things.

1. I used 3 drops of dye thinking a little goes a long way, but with the amount of tungsten needed, it appeared that the color of the tungsten basically drowned out the dye.

2. I wanted to achieve the weight of, or come close to, a lead head weight, but came up short. I found that I needed slightly less than a 1:1 tungsten to plastic mixture to pour and I think that's where I came up short, any way to add more tunsten and still make the mixture fluid?

Any thoughts?
Jigfishn10

Re: Plastic Tungsten Jig

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:25 pm

I don't think it's possible to dye it. you can alumidust the mold and get results. as far as the mix, i've mixed it so thick it would hardly pour and had to use a scraper but honestly don't recall the ratio. I've had good luck with tungsten in making larger than lead based heads by combining tungsten and however much hard plastic it takes to get the desired weight. sometimes just as a keel mixed with goop on the bottom, then microballoons in the top goop.
I've never been able to achieve the small size to weight ratio of the commercial tungsten.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions