Lake Sturgeon Rod Suggestions?

General Questions

Lake Sturgeon Rod Suggestions?

Postby MikeW87 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:25 am

I’ve been fishing lake sturgeon in the St. Clair River & Detroit for 5 seasons now. I’ve been using my musky rods (8’ to 9’ MH & Hvy) but next season I want to have rods that I just use for sturgeon. Can anyone recommend some rods for lake sturgeon? In Michigan we are allowed to use 3 rods per angler so when I’m anchored in the river I’ll have 2 rods in rods holders with one off the back & the other off the side. The third rod I cast out a ways & hold the rod in my hand most of the time. I generally have the rods rigged with 5 oz. to 8 oz. weights but sometimes will have up to a pound to cast off to the side of the boat to keep it from being pulled behind the boat by the current.

Thanks
MikeW87

Re: Lake Sturgeon Rod Suggestions?

Postby dahlberg » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:53 pm

The main criteria I would go for is having a rod stout enough to handle the weight when you lob it out, but with a very parabolic "soft" action that bends almost to the foregrip when you apply lots of heat on the fish. It will whip the fish quickly, absorb shock to prevent pulled or straightened hooks, plus be a pleasure to fight the fish with. Either spinning or bait casting configuration will work equally well.
good luck!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby MikeW87 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:01 pm

Thanks for the reply Larry.

I've been thinking about starting to build my own rods & was looking at some of Mud Hole's rod blanks. Any of those blanks that you would recommend? Glass or Graphite?

Thanks
MikeW87

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:04 am

For what you're doing glass is a great option. Give the mudhole guys a phone call, tell them what you're up to and ask for suggestions. they're great guys and really do know their stuff.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions