Whigglies

General Questions

Whigglies

Postby puckfisher » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:59 am

Got some Whigglies for Canada trip in search of big pike. Several questions. Need to rig single hook, barbless by rule where I'm fishing. How much will hookup rates be affected? Will action be altered with weight differential? can repairs be made with a lighter? How about aqua seal? How many fish (pike) can I expect to get out of a Whiggley? Do you have a favorite color for northerns? Thanks.
puckfisher

Re: Whigglies

Postby dahlberg » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:09 pm

The hook and split ring need to weigh from 5 to 8 grams depending how fast you want to work it, sink rate etc. single large siwash maybe? 7/0 treble with two prongs cut off at the shank? Tiny 1/8 egg sinker between lure and treble.
single should not mess up action if rigged correctly. You never know how many fish you'll get out of one. I've had some that caught several dozen pike before being disabled. They're made of standard plastisol so either the special glue they sell for plastisol or a lighter can be used to affect repairs.
It's a big bait and if you're in a "snake pit" of 3-10 pounders I'd keep it in the boat. Once they are all sore jawed and quit biting you might tie on a whiggley, otherwise I use it when I'm looking for bigger specimens.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions