Amazon Lures

General Questions

Amazon Lures

Postby EsoxAngler » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi Larry,

I'm traveling to Brazil this January to do some fishing for a variety of species such as payara, peacocks, bicuda, giant catfish, but mainly I will be focusing on wolffish. The water is stained and it is a high gradient river. This is my first time going to the amazon and I got the lures the outfitter recommended. However, I was wondering if there is a handful of lures that you would never go without to round out my arsenal. I'm a big fan of your show. You are one of my childhood heroes and the reason why I'm going on this trip.

Thanks,
-Esox
EsoxAngler

Re: Amazon Lures

Postby dahlberg » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:01 am

The best advice I can give you for wolfies bring some big double eight or ten inlines, like cowgirls. I suggest only one hook, whether it be a treble or large single. Too large a hook will result in some "eyeball" hooking from the inside out so we usually try to stay 5/0 at the largest.
Also musky size whopper ploppers. Cut front trebles at the bend or remove and replace with a cotter key to maintain balance.
Depending on water level and the nature of the place, repeat casts are often a good idea. A slow to medium steady retrieve is almost always the most productive.
I've seen a pic of a wolfie that weighed 65 pounds that was caught in Brazil. Be careful what you wish for!
good luck, have fun!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby EsoxAngler » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Thanks Larry I'll sacrifice a few from my collection.
EsoxAngler

Postby puckfisher » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:03 am

You might try a few "Ba-Donk-a-Donks". These are salt water designs that are easy to fish and the gliding action is a real fish catcher. A good change of pace to a smaller lure when conditions dictate. You might consider changing out trebles to stronger hooks or single barbless. Very durable and strikes are explosive.
puckfisher

Postby Badger1992 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:11 pm

I'll 2nd the "Ba-Donk-a-Donk". Another very good walk-the-dog lure is the Lucky Craft "Sammy" 128mm. I'd throw in a few Rebel Jumpin' Minnows, Chug Bug poppers/Rebel Pop-R, Borboleta Perversa stickbait, Yozuri Crystal Minnow 5" suspending, bucktail peacock bass jigs and a couple High Roller RipRoller 6.5" prop baits. Have fun!
Badger1992

Postby Badger1992 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:54 pm

I'll second the Ba-Donk-A-Donk. Also like the Lucky Craft "Sammy 128" for a walk-the-dog lure. Heavy duty hairpin spinner baits can catch payara and wolf fish. Rapala Ripin' Rap in Firetiger in Rapids and bottom pools.
Badger1992

Return to General Questions