2 piece rods

General Questions

2 piece rods

Postby Bob Daly » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:25 pm

HI Larry: Was wondering if there is any advantage of building a 2 piece rod with a handle ferrule connection over the normal ferrule connection? Also have you built any heavy telescopic casting rods?
Thanks doradokiller 8)
Bob Daly

Re: 2 piece rods

Postby dahlberg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:26 am

Not exactly sure what you mean about the handle ferrule over the normal ferrule.
Yes, I designed an absolute killer "flippin" as they were first called back in the seventies, telescopic 7 1/2 footer when I worked with sage and had several others hence based on those designs. I've used them for everything from muskies, stripers, tarpon, cuberas to striped marlin, pcocks, dorado, wolfies and payara. They are excellent, but the inherent design flaw is the distance from the first guide to the reel, and that in a longer rod the reduction in length is still a bit long for shipping.
18 months ago I started a project with the guys at Mudhole involving a two piece design with a staggered ferrule placed in a position where i wanted the hold out to be in the lower third of the rod. So far we've got a two models worked out which are currently designated med and heavy but are actually what I call Heavy and Xtra heavy. The lightest of the two is about a power heavier than what I've been using all these years, but will handle a wider range on the top end (3 0z) and still cast 3/4 lures easily.
I've been using them in field since last January and they are exactly what I wanted and pack down to a nice tidy 56". I've put extensions in the butt on a couple to make them into eight footers and they work fine, plus adding to the butt doesn't affect the "packed" length.

Coincidentally, the first shipment arrived at Mudhole this week. They've not yet been listed, but Todd Vivian, their engineer could steer you to them, and the components that fit, if you call mudhole.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks Larry: What I mean by the ferrule placement is one particular company is stating increased rod strength by having the upper section of the 2 piece rod with all the line guide eyes. The 2nd portion is the handle. Thus I guess a 2 piece rod. The other 2 piece rods more or less breakdown in the middle with line guide eyes on both sections. For what I know I cannot see how extra strength would come about? Figure you much more familar with testing rod strength.

Also are you coming to Chicago for any shows this winter? I sure hope as can pick your mind about Suriname cats
Bob
Bob Daly

Postby dahlberg » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:16 am

you are simply talking about the location of the ferrule, and possibly whether the male section is on the forward or rearward portion. Rod makers figured out how to make strong ferrules back when Fenwick and Don Green developed the hooded ferrule and strength is not really much of an issue any more. The big issue is that most "heavier" action rods get really clunky with ferrules placed at the mid point. Ferrules located thusly usually have a tendency to make the rod a bit "flatter" in how it bends.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions