Hey Larry check out my biggest Cabezon yet!

General Questions

Hey Larry check out my biggest Cabezon yet!

Postby Chris M » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:30 pm

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i135/lost_dog1/
It weighs 7 lbs 11 oz. I caught it off our South Jetti on a white Saltwater Gulp soft jerk bait.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby Henry Schmidt » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:00 pm

That is one ugly fish sort of like a monk fish or something from an episode of Iron Chef! Question, on one of your photos, what type of fish does that green fillet come from? Beautiful rods by the way. Henry
Henry Schmidt

Postby Chris M » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:06 pm

That green fillet is from a Lingcod. The colors of Lingcod can be very different. I have caught some that are almost white, some that are almost black, grey, brown and green or blue/green as we refer to it. When you catch a b/g Ling their meat is b/g also, like in that picture. I was told by a DFG that I often talk to, that certain Lings become b/g because they prefer crabs. She told me that crabs have copper in their blood instead of iron and that copper oxydizes in the fish's blood and stains the fish b/g.
Check out the color differences of these Lings
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i135/ ... N08421.jpg
Very dark, almost black (that's not just shadow)
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i135/ ... N08441.jpg
Pretty light color for a Ling
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i135/ ... ceLing.png
Dark mottling with b/g. Not the same fish that the fillet came from but it would have been the same or even darker meat. You know when it's done cooking cause it turns white.
Cabezon are normally very b/g.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby Seedy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:07 pm

So, uh...when you say "real leaf"...Is that a "real leaf" under the fiberglass?
For those of you who also keep fish at home (and not just in the freezer :) ) come visit Aquatic-Oasis.net the home of the "more serious aquarist".
Seedy

Postby Chris M » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:40 pm

Not under the fiberglass, under the epoxy. I put the leaf on top of a wrap that I had previously epoxied. I color preserved the leaf and epoxied over. I thought the color preserver would keep the leaf looking fresh but it is turning brown in some areas. I'm thinking of taking it off and trying a new leaf with some other kind of preserver.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby edsutton » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:03 pm

were are you getting thsat leaf from
edsutton

Postby Chris M » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:54 pm

Alright, this post is not turning out the way I intended it. If you want to know about the new subject of this thread please e-mail me.
lost_dog@suddenlink.net
otherwise please post responses about the Cabezon.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby Seedy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Sorry Chris, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I suppose that is probably not a good topic for a public forum. Yes, that is a nice looking cabezon. When you say "our south jetti" where in the world is that?
For those of you who also keep fish at home (and not just in the freezer :) ) come visit Aquatic-Oasis.net the home of the "more serious aquarist".
Seedy

Postby Chris M » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:13 am

Northern California, Humboldt Bay, the North and South Jetties make the mouth of the bay.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby Seedy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:28 pm

Sweet. I used to live in Isla Vista, (just north of Santa Barbara) and fished off the cliffs and Goleta pier all the time. Never did catch a halibut, but dang did I try...I did catch quite a few rays and small horn sharks though...let them all go...

How far south do Cabezon go? I pulled up some funny looking rockfish (sculpin I think) but never caught any of those.
The few times I took charter boats to the channel Isalands we would catch baracudu, "rockfish", sheepshead... etc
Seedy

Postby Chris M » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:50 pm

Cabs go down to Mexico or close to it.
http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/
here is a board I post on too. There are some guys who fish Goleta on there that post regularly.
My name on that board is Sebastes2.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby roncarr » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:11 pm

nice fish :D
fish on!
roncarr

Return to General Questions