Leaders

General Questions

Leaders

Postby Jeremy Damgaard » Fri May 09, 2008 9:30 am

Larry,
What do you use for leaders? I know this is a bit of a broad question so I apologize. I'm interested mostly in freshwater fish (pike, musky, pcocks, even walleyes) but I'm recently into learning more about saltwater fishing. About 2 years ago I started using fluoro for musky/pike and love it. My main line is almost always a braided line. Is the bimini the best way to make the connection? Do you tie a snap to the end of the leader (quick lure changes) or do you re-tie? In some cases it makes sense to me to tie my lures directly to the braid. Any advice? Thanks for your help!

Jeremy
P.S. My wife would like to thank you for making me love fishing more than I use to (which is hard to believe, I like it quite a bit). Actually there's been a little tension. With all the lure making/buying and knot tying going on at my house she feels neglected. She is excited about the prospect of me doing more saltwater fishing. More time for her to spend on the beach!
"There are always greater fish than you have caught, always the lure of greater task and achievement, always the inspiration to seek, to endure, to find.” - Zane Grey

“I am haunted by waters.” – Norman Maclean - A River Runs Through It
Jeremy Damgaard

Postby dahlberg » Sat May 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi J
I tie a bimini in the braid, then double nail knot it to the leader.
Most of the time I don't use a snap. There's a bowline type knot you can tie and untie and retie with heavy mono or wire and I use it quite often. I call it a Knot Again. Learned it from a costa rican snook fisherman named Jorge Faeth years ago.
Otherwise suggest a uni w/3 turns and do the cut, retie thing.
I'm betting you get burned eventually by a big pike or musky if you continue using the Flouro leader.
I've had 5 pounders bite off 130# and didn't even feel the strike.
good luck!
L

itetw youOnly with a spoon or lure t whtnim
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Leaders

Postby Jeremy Damgaard » Sun May 11, 2008 10:58 am

Thanks for the advice Larry. How about nylon coated wire? Tyger Leader perhaps?

Jeremy
"There are always greater fish than you have caught, always the lure of greater task and achievement, always the inspiration to seek, to endure, to find.” - Zane Grey

“I am haunted by waters.” – Norman Maclean - A River Runs Through It
Jeremy Damgaard

Postby dahlberg » Sun May 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi J
Nylon coater wire is great. Careful with the tigerwire as it's softer and can fatigue more easily than regular 7-strand and break at a knot or crimp.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions