Traveling with fishing rods

General Questions

Traveling with fishing rods

Postby CrazyAngler » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:07 pm

I wanted some input from forum members here regarding traveling with fishing rods. I am planning to go abroad this May or June at a place TBD, but I was wondering how much of a pain it is to travel with 7'+ rods with airlines? Would I be better off purchasing travel rods (Wright and McGill, Cabela's, St. Croix or G. Loomis) rather than using full length ones? The only area I guess I would be at a disadvantage would be if I need to buy a rod for heavy use (like 80-100 lb braid in a Trinidad or Torium reel, although Cabela's makes two piece boat rods).

My biggest fear with traveling with any sort of rods is that TSA will open or modify the rod tubes and screw something up. You can't lock rod cases these days (only guns after they've been inspected), and the collapsible tubes used for fishing rods are exactly the sort of tubes I'm worried about some TSA agent messing up.

Thought? Thanks!
CrazyAngler

Postby Bob Daly » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:12 am

I had problems with TSA one time. While travelling to Manaus Brazil from Miami, TSA sawed my rod case in half :evil: . 6 out of 8 rods were damaged or destroyed. There was about a foot section missing about 3/4 up on the rod case with TSA tape covering the opening. TSA tried to blame LAB airlines. However, after taking photos of the TSA tape and having numerous witness write letters to TSA, I was able to recover the cost of all damage :) . This past year while travelling again to Brazil, I did not have any problems with TSA, but sure mentioned the previous problems I had with them. I think my situation was just a TSA worker "screwing" around. I have never had any problems in my many years of travel. :roll:
Good luck, and good fishing,
Bob Daly
Bob Daly

Postby Questor » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:23 am

Any organization with an acronym that is short for "Thousands Standing Around" is bound to be troublesome. I had the same concerns and bought some Cabelas Salt Striker spinning and casting rods. They are just fine as carry-on luggage, and they are excellent rods for the money.
Questor

Postby Questor » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:24 am

I also should have mentioned that I also own a Wright and McGill travel rod that is of spin/fly type. I really didn't like it for fishing saltwater. It's got a buggy whip action. That's why I upgraded to the Salt Strikers. Glad I did.
Questor

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi CA,
I travel most of the time with a 7' tube.
I place the rods tip to butt, every other rod, and tape time securely in several places. I then cushion the ends so the rod bundle can't slide even an inch back and forth. also wrap towels around rods if tube has room.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bionic » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:43 pm

I have taken 7ft rods to just about everywhere. I do the same thing as Larry. I go tip to butt and group the rods together. Then I wrap my clothes
around them to so they fit snuggly in the tube. This also frees up room
in my other bags as I don't have to pack clothes in them. :lol:
I have the Jumbo Airliner tube and the only problem I have with it is getting
it into the small 4 seaters. Usually rests on the cockpit of the plane :shock:

Scott
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Return to General Questions