Question about Okuma Komodo 350 reel

General Questions

Question about Okuma Komodo 350 reel

Postby MikeW87 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:04 pm

I seen that Larry had mentioned this reel so I was checking it out on Okuma's website & it states that one of the features of the reel is a "Synchronized level wind optimized for braided line". I'm not sure what they mean by that. Does this mean that the level wind is engaged on the cast like on a Abu Revo Toro or is it a disengaged level wind like on a Curado? I'm thinking about buying this reel for casting pounders instead of the Calcutta 401D.

Also another question about the reel. With stainless steel gears wouldn't the reel get noisy over time?

Thanks
MikeW87

Re: Question about Okuma Komodo 350 reel

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 am

I fished the reel for muskies and more recently for payara and it works great so far. the handle is pretty soft and i can see guys who really lay hard on the handle when cranking in a fish will likely bend it. It's a very small reel in overall size which I really like. The steel gears are smooth so far, but time will tell. I've not yet had any "accidental" engages to really test the teeth on the pinion!
I'm sure it would work ok for pounders. I'm liking it for topwater, minnow lures, whiggley, jigs, etc. but have not used it with blades enough to have an opinion.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Question about Okuma Komodo 350 reel

Postby MikeW87 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:13 am

Thanks Larry.

I figured the reel handle on the reel will would be questionable with regards to it being prone to bending. I was thinking about going with the power handle but haven't seen what it looks like. Hopefully they didn't remove too much metal on the power handle. The handle on the Okuma Citrix 350 looks to be stronger because it has less metal removed from the handle but not sure if the reel handle would be interchangeable between the Komodo & the Citrix.
MikeW87

Return to General Questions