line pressure

General Questions

line pressure

Postby ty » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:54 pm

Hello Mr Larry how are you doing. When you are targeting big pelagic fish when fishing heavy gear when do you start applying pressure to the fish when using mono. That LauLau you had on the end of the line you started thumbing the spool I guess to slow it down. So when and how do you no when pressure should be applied without departing the line or pulling a hook. How about fishing braided line how much pressure should be applied? thank you

ty
ty

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:45 pm

Hi Ty,
From experience I've learned I'm not strong enough to break 130# mono, so I pull as hard on it as I physically can. On a big cat, or other big fish that might get into heavy cover I try to put myself in the right position in the boat so I'm safe from potential line cut-off, then put on maximum pressure right away. I try to plan in advance using hooks that won't straighten and really don't worry about the hook coming out.
I've never had a problem with 80# mono breaking either.
Braid doesnt' stretch and absorb shock as well as mono, but I've not had problems pulling as hard as physically possible on 80# braid and up either, although it does cut more easily on sharp rocks.
On lighter mono I feel for the stretch to come out, and listen to it ping. when it quits stretching and starts pinging it's time to let off a bit..
Best advice I can give is pull until it breaks, then on the next one don't pull quite as hard!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions