the best chance for trophy pike

General Questions

the best chance for trophy pike

Postby wolfmanfish » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Hello I am new here .I would like to know my best chance at a trophy sized northern pike the time of year and location in the U.S. if possible I run a charterboat on lake Erie and guide on my local rivers plus work a regular job so my time is limited and have to make the most of it any help would great thanks
wolfmanfish

Re: the best chance for trophy pike

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:06 pm

hi wolf,
Welcome to the forum. I'd be happy to try and help you out. That's a good question. Many of our lakes that are capable of producing giants have been decimated by spearing and real big girls can be hard to find because so few (if any) remain. What is your target In terms of size that it will take to qualify as a trophy?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby wolfmanfish » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks for the reply i would say something in the mid 40s if thats possible just want to catch and release i catch some pike in presque isle bay in Erie when the ice is off but not much to the size early spring and late fall are the best time for me to squeeze a trip in before i start chartering I do make a trip to the bay of quinte every couple years for the big walleye in the late fall is that a possibilty thanks again for the help.Wolfman
wolfmanfish

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:46 am

no doubt, early spring and late fall are the periods i would choose. For ease of finding and catching, spring is best because if you have your water temps thing down they are much easier to find. I could write a novel about how to find and catch them, but obviously not time here on the forum.
We just finished a video called "giant pike of the north" which outlines my method of finding the largest specimens. although it's geared toward larger and northern bodies of water, the principles apply on most of our large cool water lakes in northern usa latitudes.
It's available on the makelure.com website and will also be in Cablela's and some of the other big box stores that still sell dvd's.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Michigan Sportsman Magazine has listed top Pike waters in Michigan in previous publications. You may way to to check that resource out in your own state to see if they've done similar articles to find something near your location. I know in Michigan, I was unfamiliar with more than half of the lakes they mentioned but some were within a few hours. Others I had heard of, I would not have guessed they were known for big pike.

Just a thought to find some water closer to home when you might have a chance to schedule around good weather because its closer to home.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Along the lines of mike's line of thought, if I was going by biggest pike, best chance, nearest to home, I would pick the largest lake with large pelagic forage that also reputed to contain pike. best to pick one with a reputation for huge ones, but tough to fish because of the clear water. would fish them in the spring time using platform like big yeti cooler, or even step ladder and my water temp gauge would be my most important instrument.
lure arsenal will very from jigs with pork, plastics like whiggley, neutral minnow lures, spinner baits, traps, topwater and even flies.

best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions