New fly rod

General Questions

New fly rod

Postby Travis B » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:31 pm

Larry, I'm shopping for a fly rod for The Smoky Mountains (small mountain streams for Brookies, etc). At a recent show here a rep from one of our local dealerships suggested a 2 weight that can be loaded with 3. Since I'm fairly new to fly fishing would a 2 weight be more for an experienced fly fisherman or do you think that I could throw it without much trouble. The rod was a Lefty Kreh signature series at 6' with an Orvis reel. Thanks in advance for your time.

Travis B
Travis B

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:48 am

Hi T
Casting is about stroke (throwing a tight controlled loop)
and timing. (waiting until the line is in the perfect position to load the rod in such a way the opposing stroke will have maximum efficiency.)
since "feel" is a big part of it, most people find it easier to learn when using a heavier set up. This is especially true if you're casting long distances and/or with large flies, wind etc. and trying to learn to double haul. (something I advise, right from the beginning)
You're most likely fishing in very tight quarters. Fly lines are "graded" or designated by how much the first 30' weighs. Therefore, when casting a short distance (say 15') using a 3 weight line you may very well have less line weight in the air than you'd have with 30' of a number 2 line!
I'd see how the #2 six footer roll casts a 3 weight. If it'll do that I'm sure it'll be ok.
Focus on controlling the loop. start with only ten feet of line. Practice on all planes. Practice getting perfect power and accelleration so loop says as smooth and parallel as possilble!
Good luck,
L
Don't accellerate itk
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Thanks Larry

Postby Travis B » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks Larry! I appreciate the input.
Travis B

Postby Travis B » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:13 pm

Larry, bought the rod and reel and it works fine with #2 or #3. Thanks for the advice. I look forward to getting many days of enjoyment from it.

TB
Travis B

Postby Questor » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:26 am

I think you'll be happy with it for fishing in the Smokies. You'll be out of the wind most of the time. You may also get some irritating comments from other anglers about your rod being too short, but don't listen to them. My favorite trout rod for the confined areas I fish in is a 6' 3wt. It is much easier to fish than a 9 footer because I don't get caught in streamside vegetation as often.
Questor

Return to General Questions