Peacock bass location

General Questions

Peacock bass location

Postby mikesxpress » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:15 am

Larry,
If you wanted to go one place that would have the best Peacock Bass action in regards to size and qty of fish, where would you go and when?
mikesxpress

Postby dahlberg » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:53 am

Hi Mike,
In my experience with Pcocks (and most other fish too for that matter)
numbers and size are usually inversely related.
You want lots, you sacricfice size. You want size, you sacrifice numbers. The specific technique you use and types of places you focus your attention also have great bearing on size vs quantity.
The biggest enemy of the pcock angler is high, rising water. When the river is out of it's banks things get beyond tough.
There are too many copy cat, vulture type outfitters who like to get in on the ticket for which I've paid the dues, that read this forum, so I'm going to refer you to my travel partner, Steve Yatomi to give you the info you're looking for.
Click the travel link on page one, and email Steve. He's in touch with the guys in Brazil on a weekly basis and keep close track of what's going on water and weather wise.
Best times can vary greatly depending on the particular river and how goofy the season is in terms of weather. We've seen some 100 year + anamolies in the past several seasons.
Good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bionic » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:21 pm

I had my best trip species wise and numbers in Brazil, but caught
my biggest in Venezuela. If I had to pick right now I would go with
Brazil for a mutitude of reasons. As Larry said though, water level
is the biggest factor no matter where you are.

Scott
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Postby Bob Daly » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:07 am

If I had to pick a peacock location it would either be the Itapara River or the Agua Boa River. Neither of these rivers get much fishing pressure and size and numbers can be caught provided the water levels are acceptable. Bob Daly
Bob Daly

Return to General Questions