Rod Balancers

General Questions

Rod Balancers

Postby rwillis670 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:48 pm

Larry,

I Know you really like the Rod Balancers and I have seen on your show where you are using them. I'm a bass fishing person and I use the Balancers on all my rods but I have to use some sort of tape to hold them on. I have noticed on your show where you don't use tape on them... How is it that yours don't come off? or am I doing something wrong.
Thanks
Roland :?:
rwillis670

Postby Chris M » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:00 pm

I asked a question like this and Larry said to use silicone.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby Henry Schmidt » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:26 am

I think you'll find that those are Dahlberg brand balancers. I think from back in his In-Fisherman days. I recall BPS selling them a few years back. They had a groomed rubber cap that slipped over the rods end cap. Various sized weights were included to allow you to customize the feel and went inside the rubber cap, then snugged up the rods butt.
Henry Schmidt

Postby rwillis670 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:54 am

I do use the balancers that Larry has endorsed.

If you use the silicone wouldn't it hard to remove from the butt of the rod to clean the cork handles every year? I go through my tackle and clean it every year and I thought about using something like silicone but always thought it would a pain in the A-- to remove to clean the cork.

One thing I would say I don't really have a problem with the new Loomis rods since at the butt end of the rod they taper out.

Thanks for your input maybe Larry has come up with something lately
rwillis670

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:01 am

I began messing with counter weights when I starting building rods over 40 years ago.
The butt caps on the Balancer stretch like crazy. Once I get the weight where I want it, I never take them off.
I put silicone between the weights so they don't rattle. The soft, white GE silicone peels off pretty easily.
If you fish a great deal, and suffer from the "elbow" pain known as tennis and golfers elbow, the Balancer can be huge. Especially when using longer rods.
In my opinion, it also increases sensitivity in any fishing rod as well.
Although I never wash my cork for fear of loosing mojo, I don't think you'd have to remove the butt cap to spiff up your rods.
best,
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby rwillis670 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:50 am

Thanks for the input :D
rwillis670

Return to General Questions