How often do you replace your equipment

General Questions

How often do you replace your equipment

Postby briana » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:53 pm

Hi Larry:
I truly enjoy your show. That giant catfish was awesome. I know you ae a great fan of shimano reel and for what I can see they are high quality reels. I was wondering since Shimano is your sponsor Do you get new rods and reels for every new trip or for how long do you use a reel before you replace it?

Thanks

PS. I got your DVD for Christmas and it is awesome.
briana

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:16 am

Hi B
Although I often get "new" stuff to be tested, I still use many of the very same reels I got from shimano ten years ago or more!
In my history with Shimano I've only had to send three back for repair!
One was a Calais I dropped in the sand and couldn't figure out how to take apart.
Another was a Trinidad I twisted the handle off from trying to winch a boat up on to a trailer, and the other was a spinning reel.
Most I've never even taken apart!
Granted, most of these are "top of the line" models, but years before I'd used "top of the line" stuff from a different manufacturer and would have to take a dozen and a half reels with me in order to have a couple that still worked at the end of a 30 day trip!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:16 am

Hi B
Although I often get "new" stuff to be tested, I still use many of the very same reels I got from shimano ten years ago or more!
In my history with Shimano I've only had to send three back for repair!
One was a Calais I dropped in the sand and couldn't figure out how to take apart.
Another was a Trinidad I twisted the handle off from trying to winch a boat up on to a trailer, and the other was a spinning reel.
Most I've never even taken apart!
Granted, most of these are "top of the line" models, but years before I'd used "top of the line" stuff from a different manufacturer and would have to take a dozen and a half reels with me in order to have a couple that still worked at the end of a 30 day trip!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions