molds

General Questions

molds

Postby HANDICAPPY » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:54 pm

HI Larry

i have been a Charter Boat Capt. out of Cape May for 20 years now But i have to turn my boat over to my son. i am a disable vet and my legs are in bad shape i lost my left leg and my right leg is all beat up. i needed to get a hobby to keep my self busy so i started making lures i am having a lot of fun and learning a lot to.thanks to you and all the great fisherman
out there. i also started making custom rods. my question is i have some rael nice lead lures and would like to make some molds so i can make some of them.is there any other material
other than alum, for pouring lead what about clay any information you can give me would be greatful'

thanks
Capt Ray
HANDICAPPY

Re: molds

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 am

Any of the rtv's can be used to mold lead, but I would suggest the mold putty 15. It's much firmer and less likely to bulge or deform.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby HANDICAPPY » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Thank You for the information

after watching the video on the putty can you drill a hole for the pour.and wear could you drill it
i am sorry for asking so maney questions but i am new to this.how far will a 1 pound can take me i want to try it before i get into making alot of different molds.and my last question is how well will the putty hold up can i get say 20 pours out of the putty mold

Capt Ray
HANDICAPPY

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:38 am

you can eithr cast a hole by using a tube, clay,etc. or cut a slot for pouring with a thin sharp blade after the mold is set. I use those "exacto" type blades that cut various sizes and shapes of groves.
you will get many, many more than 20 pours if you make 3/8" or so walls on the mold. more like hundreds.
How many you get from a pound depends on the size of the mold. On the alumilite site it will tell how many cubic inches a pound can create and you can figure it out from there based on the molds you have in mind.
For normal size jig heads, like an ounce, I would estimate a pound would make about six or eight two piece molds.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Turtle » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi Larry,
Have a question that I thought would fit in this thread as I would like to make some lead molds too. Can I make a master out of bondo without the putty sticking to it. Also when the putty cures is it firm enough to drill? Thanks, sorry I have so many questions but I hope to post some pretty, original lures on here if I can ever figure it all out :mrgreen:
Turtle

Return to General Questions