Newby tyer

General Questions

Newby tyer

Postby Dean » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:51 am

Larry I am in the need for fly tying tools. I know I want a rotory vise but which one? I want one to last for a long long time and I will need other tools as well. I know the first question is what do I plan to tie?? I will ty from black knats to salt water inshore for reds and bones. and alot of deer hair for bass I know I need a strong vise and I don't want to buy tools of lesser quality but I don't want to break the bank as well. I will spend money on tool if they are good quality but of course I'm not rich by any means.
Would you give some good choices for the tools at least to your knowlegde, such as vice ,bobbin holder scissers as If you see the need for different type of tools.
I don't want to buy a kit because they tend to focus on price and the quality of the tools suffers.

Thanks in advance. I enjoy your show everyweek and your simplicity for casting instruction you did on the panfish video I have watched.
Dean
Dean

Postby jbird » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:47 pm

Dean

As for the vise. There are a few very good vises on the market. Renzetti, dynaking,regal and griffin all make great vises. However, there is one vise that is head and sholders above the rest. It is no more expensive than the top of the line Renzetti or Dynaking. It is the Burgstrom vise offered thru beulah http://beulahflyrods.com/gbrotary_vises.html

This vise will do everything you need and it will be the last one you ever buy...you'll hand it down to your grandkids.

James at Beulah is a very good friend of mine, in fact I was just at his shop a few minutes ago and we were playing around with the vise...truly awesome!

Jay
jbird

Postby KM » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:56 pm

Dean:

You are exactly right - if you're serious about tying you don't want to skimp on the tools. As far as "value top of the line" vises the Renzetti Traveler won't let you down. Then again, neither will any of the other big names mentioned - dynaking, regal and griffin. For the sake of objectivity, I tie on a griffin odyssey and find it perfectly workable. But as I have gotten better at tying I have come to want a few characteristics that I think are better on different models. I am considering the Traveler as well as the Presentation 2000, 4000 and Griffin Montana Mongoose as my next models.

Like hunting optics, as far as tying tools what I have found as a rule is buy the best you can afford - lesser quality will leave you wanting more.

Kevin
KM

Postby Questor » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:28 am

I'm in the other camp by using a Thompson pedestal vise. It has a weighted pedestal that I screw the vise into and it packs away very neatly after I'm done. There is no need to clamp the vise to anything. It cost me about $45 perhaps 15 years ago. Great tool. I conveniently tie everythiing from size 24 Griffith gnats to 5/0 Deceivers. That's versatility! I've never wanted anything better.
Questor

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:52 am

I've had the same couple of vises for over thirty years! I don't think paid over $30 for either! I use them on hooks from 5/0-#16.
All that matters to me is that it holds the hook securely, and doesn't damage it.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Newby tyer

Postby FlyGuy46 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:31 pm

[quote="Dean"]Larry I am in the need for fly tying tools. I know I want a rotory vise but which one? I want one to last for a long long time and I will need other tools as well. I know the first question is what do I plan to tie?? I will ty from black knats to salt water inshore for reds and bones. and alot of deer hair for bass I know I need a strong vise and I don't want to buy tools of lesser quality but I don't want to break the bank as well.

Dean:

To add to your information/trivia file, I purchased a Renzetti 'Traveler' about 25 years ago as my upgrade vise. My first was a Thompson 'A' I bought with saved allowance while in Jr High. I tied a lot of "strange stuff" on that vise. It has now found a home with my grandson.

Like Larry said about his 30 year old vises, my old 'A' held the hook well and didn't damage it either.

When I got the urge to upgrade, I too wanted a rotary vise, a true rotary vise. After having someone show me how a true rotary vice worked and how much easier it was to tye on, I decided on the Renzetti 'Traveler'. That was after going to a couple fly fishing shops and trying several other brands. Best cost/benefit ratio for me. It only cost $89.95 at the time and I thought that was a little high. In those days there weren't that many choices in true rotary vises. You might have a more difficult time now-a-days!

I lived near St. Louis, MO and was able to visit 3 different fly tying shops. I was most impressed with one. See their site and get their cataloge at[url] http://www.feather-craft.com [/url] If you want more detailed info call and talk to Ed. He'll give you the straight skinny to your questions. His experience goes back into the 1950's and maybe beyond.

I've traveled with my 'Traveler' to CO, WY, WA, MO and have not been disappointed with it. It has the C clamp base and I believe that's the best overall. I've cranked pretty hard on the hook while tying deer hair bass flies and bunny strip muskie flies that would have been harder to tye with a weighted base stand moving around. Haven't had a problem finding something to clamp the C clamp onto, so far. Just protect the lodge owner's table with a few folds of news paper between table and clamp, top and bottom.

I've tied ants and scuds in size 20 (can't see the hook eye to tie on 8X any more) to 2/0 muskie and gar flies with the same jaws that came with the vise. I added the "Clouser Arm" some years back. Makes tying the minnows much easier. Also added the backer plate to make tying visibility better. Other items like waste catching bag, material keepers, etc., I've used my imagination to "fit the need" and saved myself some money. I also have the satisfaction of making my own equipment, to fit my stuff, the way I want it to work. A retired Civil/Mechanical engineer can be plagued with the affliction to re-engineer other people's ideas to make it work correctly! Haven't had a problem with the 'Traveler' though.

I will spend money on tool if they are good quality but of course I'm not rich by any means.
Would you give some good choices for the tools at least to your knowlegde, such as vice ,bobbin holder scissers as If you see the need for different type of tools.
I don't want to buy a kit because they tend to focus on price and the quality of the tools suffers.

Thanks in advance. I enjoy your show everyweek and your simplicity for casting instruction you did on the panfish video I have watched.[/quote]
[url][/url]

Try a bobbin with a ceramic tube. It's best with kevlar thread. No reason to change types of bobbins when changing to a different thread. That's the best of both worlds.

A good serrated blade scissor with [b][u]large[/u][/b] finger loops and well pointed tips will serve the best, IMO (I used to add an H for Humble but it's been brought to my attention that I'm not). The Matarelli (sp), sorry- ask Ed, whip finisher is my choice. Both standard and long reach are in my equipment box. I've made a long/ high reach version for those flies the other sizes don't work as well on.

I taught fly tying at the local Junior College for several years and I wanted my students to carry their scissors in their hand all the time. The large finger loops make this much easier. Having the scissors in hand saves time and frustration looking for them in the table top clutter. I don't know how much you've tyed, but with any tying time at all, you know the table top clutter of which I speak. The fine blade tips will serve as a bodkin many times and saves looking for it too. Carrying the scissors in hand and the Matarelli whip finisher take some practice but after a while the techniques become your own natural tying style.

KM is right on with the statement about optics. Don't let 'wants','desires'. and 'glamour' out shadow the most economical tool, that will do what you need to do, the easiest. Buy the best you can afford. Usually, the high end 'bling', costs a lot more for very little improvement of function. But hey, if you have the $$, no worries, get what you 'desire'!! Just MHO. :D

Best of luck in finding your tools. Try not to make work out of the search. Have some fun and learn something new from an old guy at the fly shop. He might be me. If possible, find several fly shops in your area and try out their different brands. Make the shop where the owner makes you feel the most comfortable, your 'home' shop, even if it's not the closest. You'll never be sorry. If you're married, it's much easier to hide the newest tool/gagget in the table top clutter, so never clean up your tying station! If you don't have to hide the newest tool, count your blessings, and do something she likes to do with her, even if it isn't fly fishing related. :o !!! :shock: !!! That's the best cost/benefit ratio I've found so far. You'll never be sorry!

I apologize for the length. Still difficult for me to state anything without backup and explanation.
FlyGuy46

You can't fix stupid, all you can do is watchout for it. If you don't, it will come back and bite you.
FlyGuy46

Return to General Questions