Tieable leader material

General Questions

Tieable leader material

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 am

Hey everyone,

Looking for rec's on some tieable steel leader material.

Any recommendations please reply. I want to check out a few brands. I've tried cortland before with mixed results.

Also what kind of knots do you guys recommend for line to line connection with the material to braid.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Tieable leader material

Postby Dan Hanon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:45 pm

I tried the Tyger wire and hated it. I wasn't happy with the knot strength-I much prefer crimping. The crimps are actually less bulky than the knots. But you can twist melt some of the brands. I'm sure others have good success with the stuff and like it.
Dan Hanon

Postby Seachaser » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:05 pm

There are several mono to singlestrand knots that are pretty strong.
Seachaser

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Almost any of the nylon coated seven strand products work ok for twist melt connections. The black seems easier to melt, just don't get it too hot and make the wraps pretty loose. Also it's a good idea to not leave any tag of wire. It's best to carefully position the tag so it's parallel to the rest of the leader and weld it smooth.
When I've had twist melts fail is after repeated use and the tag start to tear away.
As far as line to wire, it's hard to beat a double nail/uni-knot.
If the diameters are not to greatly different you can also splice the nylon coated wire ala wind-on style. I've used it with 90# wire with success.
Crimps are a great way to go as long as everything matches up size wise with both the crimps and crimper and the wire!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:27 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I think i'm going to try my hand at crimping to start with. Thank you!!!!
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby Dan Hanon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 am

I bought the large Jinkai crimper-it has blue plasticized handles (the smaller one has green handles). Made in Japan and very high quality.
Dan Hanon

Return to General Questions